30 August 2007

Playground Terrorism Thwarted by Heroic Educators


So, it has come to this, has it? From MyWay news:


Colo. School Bans Tag on Its Playground
Aug 30, 7:44 AM (ET)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.
"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.


Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.
Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.


In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.


________________

No word on the effect this measure will have on homeschools.

3 comments:

wolftracker said...

Funny, isn't it. My boys are big on tag. And, actually, it was a complaint that teachers made against my oldest--that he wanted to play tag when others did not. It was banned at his school eventually "for safety reasons."

Now he and his brother are playing tag at the home school, where, as of yet, no safety problems made themselves known.

Tag takes energy. Public schools seem intent on nothing else but the censorship of energy, a trait associated with boys more than girls. And there you have it: the coming United States of Androgyny (that last word is probably misspelled, but I went to public schools and do not read the magazines that teach one to spell it better than I can without looking it up.)

Zach said...

timman,

We should start an underground tag movement. Viva le resestance!

Joyful Catholics said...

How did I ever survive tag? Hide 'n Seek? Red Rover? 4 Square? Jump Rope? I'm 54 but I should have been dead long ago, from all the humiliation and embarssment of not being able to run as fast as a few others in my class. We also played on METAL jungle gyms, and tree houses that didn't have rounded corners. In fact we climbed in trees, where the branches are sometimes pointy and could have lots eyes by the ton! Our Tonka trucks were metal, too and had sharp corners! There was broken glass in the empty lot we used to play in and walk through between my best friend's house and mine! The seats on the hard wooden swings (which did occasionally have slivers!!) weren't rounded and the chains would sometimes get rusty and make our hands the color of burnt umber! I had to go upstairs at my house to my room! I could have fallen to my death a million times because no adult would carry me when I was 8! or even when I was 5! I smashed my thumb with my dad's hammer countless times, too! I also ate with forks that had pointed tongs and I fell off my bike a time or two! I never had a HELMET!!! I played in the DIRT and never washed my hands with anti-bacterial soap!! WHY AM I STILL HERE?? Oh God...help us.