29 September 2007

Tailgating-- And a Quiz

One of my many faults is the tendency to run afoul of the Vatican's new safe and sinless driving guidelines. But sometimes tailgating can have its benefits.

Yesterday, for instance, when I was driving home from my paying job, I had the singular good fortune to follow, closely ( I'm nearsighted, too, so watch out) and for some time, a late-model Chevy Metro. You know the car: slightly larger and slightly less ugly than a Yugo. Great gas mileage.


This particular Metro was covered with bumper stickers of the "progressive" variety. And I mean it when I say covered. Three tiers of wonderfully hippie, feminist and [deleted due to pending hate crimes bill] bumper stickers. Ah, the glories of the Sixties were not lost on my commuter friend!

I will list the bumper stickers here, from left to right, top to bottom. Get the mental pictures ready, as some of these stickers are often seen First row:


You know, Never surrender, dude!














This one was just the equal sign, without the red line-- this was the closest image I could find.

This was followed by a bumper sticker for a local Democrat candidate (sorry, no image).

Second row:




My personal favorite. I never knew!!







The second row middle was one of these rainbow flag designs, but instead of just this flag, it was a Jesus fish with the rainbow inside it. (Insert involuntary shudder here).

This was followed by a sticker that proclaimed "Priestly Vocations Come in Both Sexes/ Ordain Women" (sorry, no image)

The third row began with the gem "Love Makes Families: Support Gay Adoption" (again, no image). Then:



Coexist, man. Tolerance rules! No hate!

Finally, the bottom right corner of the vehicle was emblazoned with simple, one word sticker:


JESUS.

I asked Him to have mercy on us both.

Now for the quiz. I know I shouldn't have, but I just had to pass the Metro and peek at the driver. First person to guess approximate age and gender gets valueless prize.

19 comments:

Patrick Kinsale said...

Female. 60. Very short hair.

BTW, I often see a little square blue sticker with a yellow equal sign. What does it mean? I think it's military.

Lynne said...

A 50-something woman with short gray hair (and glasses)?

wolftracker said...

A womyn, aged 55 to 60?

thetimman said...

no one has it yet.

the equals sign is a pro-[deleted due to impending hate crimes bill] sicker, is it not?

Anonymous said...

The yellow equals sign is for the Human Rights Campaign, a pro-gay, transwhatever and cetera organization.

JP said...

Equal sign is for the "Human Rights Campaign," a pro-homosexual action group. I had the unfortunate occasion to happen upon their National Headquarters in DC while attending a completely unrelated meeting. I said a prayer and shook my head in disgust at their multi-story headquarters.

My guess for the activist is a 20-something male, probably white, most likely sporting small specs a poorly trimmed beard and perhaps even long hair. Having attended UC Santa Cruz, these types of modern hippies gave me heartburn for four years. Glad to be in St. Louis now!

thetimman said...

No winner yet!

David said...

It was from an older, graying man, perhaps 60. He was probably wear a baseball cap and a jean jacket. (I speak from experience with the same car and bumper stickers.)

Patrick Kinsale said...

Thanks for the clarification. Boy, I had that one wrong! I've seen it around, but never in conjunction with other lefty stickers.

Anonymous said...

Female-mid to late '60s.An ex-Sister of Loretto perhaps?
Does it have a WashU or Webster U staff or faculty sticker on the front window?
( I think I've driven behind this person)

thetimman said...

David wins, although I would put the age at 65.

I was surprised at the gender.

The valueless prize I referred to before? My respect.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I think it's my parish's associate pastor!

Anonymous said...

Are we reasonably
sure about the gender? I 've run across folks sharing the bumperstickers sentiments who seemed somewhat...ambiguous, to put it delicately

thetimman said...

I'm sure. He had a moustache that Bea Arthur would envy.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was the wife's car?

Zach said...

or his son's

David said...

I gladly accept your generous gift. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

cgilbert said...

You do realize that you are all trying to guess someones image based on their beliefs. That you are stereotyping a set of values. Did God not say to not judge? are all sins not equal except for the seven deadly sins? If so, why is being gay any worse than telling a little white lie you all probably tell every day?
What is wrong with you people? you preach freedom and kindness and forgiveness, yet you judge others based on what has been proven time and time again to be something that people are born with. Being Gay isn't a choice, and it can't be "cured"
why can't you just let people live their lives without judging them?