18 December 2007

Bryan Adams, Beware!


If it cuts like a knife, it won't feel so right at Sunrise Elementary School in Ocala, Florida. As society loses all sense of morality based on religion, natural law or even a shared cultural heritage, more laws have to be passed with less discretion given to the law enforcers. Finally, logic and common sense take a holiday. If you have a culture of death that leads to a Columbine, then you need to arrest 10-year-olds who use kitchen knives to cut their food at lunch.


Knife At Lunch Gets 10-Year-Old Girl Arrested At School


POSTED: 5:41 pm EST December 14, 2007
UPDATED: 4:36 pm EST December 17, 2007

OCALA, Fla. -- A 10-year old Ocala girl brought her lunch to school and a small kitchen knife to cut it. She now faces a felony charge after being arrested. The school and the sheriff's office disagree on the reason for the arrest.


School officials say the 5th grader was brown-bagging it. She brought a piece of steak for her lunch, but she also brought a steak knife. That's when deputies were called.


It happened in the cafeteria at Sunrise Elementary School. The 10-year-old used the knife to cut the meat.


"She did not use it inappropriately. She did not threaten anyone with it. She didn't pull it out and brandish it. Nothing of that nature," explained Marion County School Spokesman Kevin Christian.


But a couple of teachers took the utensil and called the sheriff. When deputies arrived, they were unable to get the child's parents on the phone, so they arrested her and took her to the county's juvenile assessment center.


[...]


Full story here.


I think the real reason for the arrest is that the teachers were jealous that a 10-year-old was able to bring steak for lunch.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

This is crazy. . . .If she wasn't doing anything wrong AND they took it away from her, what is the reasoning behind calling the cops?!?!?!? IF I sent my kids to school, I wouldn't even think to send them with a steak knife (much less steak for lunch). Just another silly story to say "I'm glad I homeschool"!

thetimman said...

Careful, Michelle, I bet homeschools have a whole "arsenal" of these dangerous steak knives right on site!

Michelle said...

LOL! Have you been to my house!?! My boys LOVE my cutco knives and try to find any excuse to get to use them!

thetimman said...

p.s., back when I had hair (yes I did) it looked like that.

Cool '80s style, eh?

latinmassgirl said...

Since we homeschool, we don't bring lunches, but my husband gets to take steak to work. I usually cut it up, but I know that I've given him one of the kitchen knives, when I didn't have time. Don't worry, Michelle, it wasn't a Cutco! Next time I may have to worry about him being arrested in his office, over his lunch. Oh, silly me, that just happens to 10-year olds!!!!!!!

P.S. My children read this and my 10 year old Francesca was in tears for the little girl! She said she is very glad that she doesn't go to school.