24 February 2008

Celebrating Freedom of Choice

Two articles from the UK Telegraph show us the wonderful and liberating effects of the right to choose.  I can't decide which is more tragic.


Artist hanged herself after aborting her twins 


Last Updated: 12:23pm GMT 24/02/2008

An artist killed herself after aborting her twins when she was eight weeks pregnant, leaving a note saying: "I should never have had an abortion. I see now I would have been a good mum."

Emma Beck was found hanging at her home in Helston, Cornwall, on Feb 1 2007. She was declared dead early the following day - her 31st birthday.

Her suicide note read: "I told everyone I didn't want to do it, even at the hospital. I was frightened, now it is too late. I died when my babies died. I want to be with my babies: they need me, no-one else does."

The inquest at Truro City Hall heard that Miss Beck had split up with her boyfriend, referred to as "Ben" after he "reacted badly" to the pregnancy.

[...]

 

The inquest heard that Sylvia Beck, the victim's mother, wrote to the hospital after her daughter's death, saying: "I want to know why she was not given the opportunity to see a counsellor.

"She was only going ahead with the abortion because her boyfriend did not want the twins.

"I believe this is what led Emma to take her own life - she could not live with what she had done."

The doctor said: "I discussed Emma's situation with her, and wrote on the form, 'Unsupported, lives alone, ex-partner aware'.

[...]

Recording a verdict of suicide, Dr Carlyon said: "It is clear that a termination can have a profound effect on a woman's life.

"But I am reassured by the evidence of the doctors here."

Cardinal's aide 'was behind this abortion' 


Last Updated: 1:53am GMT 23/02/2008

The ex-lover of a former spokesman for the Catholic Church was rushed into an abortion by the man and his mother, the High Court was told yesterday.

Moyra Bremner, a writer, said she was "horrified" to return from a holiday to India in 1989 and hear that her daughter, Siobhan, then aged 26, who had become pregnant by Austen Ivereigh, had gone through with the abortion.

"I felt even more horrified when I heard that Austen and his mother had taken her. I felt that they had rushed her into it," Mrs Bremner said.

She added that she had "absolutely no part" in her daughter's decision, did not know where the operation was taking place and did not pay towards it.

Mr Ivereigh, 41, who later became head of public affairs for Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, the Archbishop of Westminster, claims that Siobhan Vitelli, a divorcee who was then a fellow graduate student at Oxford, had the abortion against his wishes at Mrs Bremner's insistence.

He is suing over an article in the Daily Mail in June 2006 which, he says, falsely presented him as a cad and a hypocrite, and cost him his £46,000-a-year job.

He strongly disputes claims by Mrs Vitelli and another woman, who cannot be named, that he failed to support them when they became pregnant and put them in a position where they felt they had no choice but to abort.

Associated Newspapers denies libel, and says the story is true.

1 comment:

St. Louis Conservative said...

Each story is a supreme tragedy. It saddens me to know that only the unusual circumstances that followed the abortions caused the stories to be "newsworthy." Imbedded within the "newsworthy" stories are the horrific deaths of three innocent children. But so many identical horrors take place every day and the regular and repeated killing of children does not make the news.