24 April 2008

"He Understands"


From a story in the St. Louis Platform local news site:


Victims of abuse recall meeting with pope

By Patricia Rice, Special to the Platform


April 23, 2008 - Olan Horne, 48, a survivor of clerical sex abuse, believes that Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the United States marks a turning point in the way victims of sexual abuse are treated in the Catholic Church.


"I saw it in his face, heard his voice. He understands," said Horne, one of six survivors who met Thursday with the pope. He spoke with the St. Louis Beacon from his Massachusetts university food service office.

Benedict himself brought the shameful issue up last week at three masses at Washington Nationals and Yankee stadiums and at St. Patrick's Cathedral, at a New York seminary campus and at a press conference aboard his plane Shepherd One. He also discussed the issue with the bishops in Washington.


"Benedict told the bishops to meet with survivors as he had; this pope gets it," said Horne. "I like to say that I'm from Missouri and you are going to have to Show Me. Benedict showed me."


[...]

1 comment:

Zach said...

tim,

I need to ask you something, but I need your email address. email me at zachk1983 (at) yahoo (dot) com.