15 January 2009

Proof Positive...


...that the only way to ensure remaining on the side of truth is to attach oneself firmly to the Catholic Church. Please, those who scoff, I realize this is a very "simplistic" statement, and I am not going to use this post as the venue to make all of the logical connections between the story below and the statement above. However, the statement is correct nonetheless.

"Me and my bible" Christianity isn't good enough. When compromise comes calling, the siren call is hard to ignore.

Warren Applauds Obama's Invitation to Gay Bishop

Sarah Pulliam

Rick Warren complimented Barack Obama's invitation to openly gay Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson to pray at the inaugural kick off event on Sunday.

“President-elect Obama has again demonstrated his genuine commitment to bringing all Americans of goodwill together in search of common ground," Warren said in a statement provided to Christianity Today. "I applaud his desire to be the president of every citizen.”

Warren and Obama have continually been taking heat from members of the gay community since it was announced that the California megachurch pastor would give the invocation at the swearing-in ceremony next Tuesday. Robinson was one of the earliest critics, saying "it was like a slap in the face.”

“I’m all for Rick Warren being at the table,” Bishop Robinson told The New York Times, “but we’re not talking about a discussion, we’re talking about putting someone up front and center at what will be the most watched inauguration in history, and asking his blessing on the nation. And the God that he’s praying to is not the God that I know.”

There is speculation over whether Warren will pray in Jesus' name or not. Robinson told the Concord Monitor that he doesn't yet know what he'll say, but he knows he won't use a Bible.

"While that is a holy and sacred text to me, it is not for many Americans," Robinson said. "I will be careful not to be especially Christian in my prayer. This is a prayer for the whole nation."
_________________________
Seriously? "I will be careful not to be especially Christian in my prayer." ? That sounds like some of my annual New Year's resolutions, like "I'm going to try to be more judgemental", or "will jump to conclusions more often", or "be more emotionally distant", or "goof off more at work", or the omnipresent "I'm going to add twenty pounds this year".

4 comments:

Gregor said...

"I will be careful not to be especially Christian in my prayer."

This from a self-proclaimed "bishop". It is really incredible. Hiw anyone can take them seriously is beyond me.

thetimman said...

Gregor, well put. You posted that comment as I was adding the paragraph following the news story to my original post.

Anonymous said...

Oh, those Episcolpalians. 450 years of pretty vestements and no Jesus to show up.

Michael C.

Cato said...

"I will be careful not to be especially Christian". This from a man who leaves his wife and children to move in with a long-time male lover. If that is his view of Christianity, God save us.