01 April 2009

BREAKING NEWS: SSPX Bishop Fellay Named New Archbishop of Saint Louis


In a bold and surprising move, the Holy See today announced that His Excellency Bernard Fellay, General Superior of the Society of St. Pius X, has been named as the new Archbishop of Saint Louis.

This appointment was accompanied by a decree from the Congregation for Bishops that provides immediate temporary jurisdiction for SSPX priests and bishops worldwide. This temporary jurisdiction involves the elevation of the SSPX to a personal prelature, but this structure is only granted for 2 years, subject to review.

(The link to the Holy See's announcement is down, I guess due to traffic, but I will repost it when it comes up again).

A press conference will be held tomorrow at the Archdiocesan Chancery at 3 pm CDT. The SSPX press arm, DICI, posted the following statement from Archbishop-elect Fellay:

I am grateful to the Holy Father for this appointment, the confidence it represents, and the acknowledgement of tradition it necessarily entails. This is the culmination of a long and prayerful road of suffering for so many faithful Catholics. I have also to thank my immediate predecessor Archbishop Burke, who laid the groundwork for a real restoration to this most venerable of Sees.

I look forward to the practical re-implementation of Catholic tradition in St. Louis. I encourage all of my beloved sons in the priesthood to reestablish the ancient Mass-- the so-called "Extraordinary Form"-- in their parishes as soon as possible. It is my intent to make the celebration of the traditional liturgy mandatory in every parish, allowing an indult for one Ordinary Form Mass per Sunday and Holy Day in order to facilitate the transition to the restoration of the timeless Mass for those who have become accustomed to the newer form.

May St. Pius X and St. Louis pray for us! I ask all of my subjects in St. Louis to pray for me as well.

+ Bernard Fellay
Menzingen
April 1, 2009



Happy April Fool's Day, everyone!

28 comments:

StGuyFawkes said...

Tim,

You buried the lead. You forgot to mention that Archbishop Fellay will assign Bp. Williamson to take over the parish of St. Cronan's.

Bp. Williamson, reached in London at a garden party for David Irving, told me that his first "Parish Peace" article will instruct the women of St. Cronan's to stop wearing pantsuits.

Really, he told me this.

cmziall said...

Why did I know you would use this topic as your "joke for the day"?!?!?

I got my dear husband good this morning! Thankfully, it didn't kill him! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Quite an April Fools Day joke !!!! Your sister

Fenian said...

Oh you!

Anonymous said...

This came through on my blog aggregator. It gave me quite a shock!

Samantha said...

I hate you Timman....I was freaking out! And I was thinking...."I didn't get a text message"

LOL, good one!

Samantha said...

Ohh....Timman, you had me going, I was on the phone with my Fiance' and told him and we were freaking out! You are so bad!!

LOL, Happy April Fool's Day!

What a brat!

James N. said...

Wow....that is one sick, twisted joke! "And all the seminarians at Kenrick RUN for the door...."

RJS said...

Oh the imagery had this been a true announcement. Nicely done!

Pro Life Girl said...

You had me going for a minute...

thetimman said...

There are certainly worse choices, don't you think?

Parvenu74 said...

A much, much better version would have been "Bp. Williamson to take over the Los Angeles archdoices, Card. Mahoney transferred to Tehran..."

Thomas said...

Masterful!

Jean M. Heimann said...

This was a good one! LOL!

Latinmassgirl said...

Not funny to me! I knew it sounded too good to be true.

Anonymous said...

You got me.

Gregory Thaumaturgas said...

Haha. Luckily I was on a public computer that took forever to load, so I figued it out! :-)

Great one though! I was fooled for about 3 or 4 seconds there. I thought the Pope was incredibly stupid there even though I know he isn't and I thought that someone must have made some huge mistake. Hahaha! Great joke ;-)

Peggy said...

I wonder if God is laughing?

Patricia said...

Personally, I don’t think that was one bit funny and neither will anybody else who has wasted time updating their websites and blogs.
I will not take anything seriously again, from the St Louis blog. You need to remember that April Fool jokes can only be played up until noon. Idiots.

Patricia said...

If I had known you moderated comments, I wouldn't have bothered. Mine is unlikely to make it past the censors.
Please put a prominent notice to let people know that you censor comments so that we don't waste time writing comments unlikely to see the light of day. As if you idiots haven't caused me to waste enough time today.

thetimman said...

Patricia,

Really, you need to exercise some charity. Idiots?

You will acknowledge that I stated "Happy April Fool's Day, everyone!" at the bottom of the post? So, it isn't like I didn't tell everyone it wasn't real.

Relax. And take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

God bless you.

carl said...

I saw this on WDTPRS, it was great! Thanks for the April fools laughs.

cmziall said...

Patricia,

First, if you look at the time of the post, it was well before noon (and where did you hear they have to end at noon?).

Second, "As if you idiots haven't caused me to waste enough time today." You are the only one who is in control of your time (unless of course you are at work ;) ) Timman isn't sitting next to you forcing you to read his blog.

C'mon people, did you really think they would announce the new Archbishop on April Fool's Day?

Anonymous said...

I'll bet this piece puts Jewish critics in a veritable froth. I wonder what Avi Cohen might have to say on the subject? Story at 10.

Averell Phoole said...

Waaaait a minute...didn't Cardinal Chittister announce today that St. Louis would be the site of one of the lesbian-only "reparational seminaries"?...how is Fellay going to deal with that?

Brandon said...

Got me. I almost started dancing in a non-liturgical fashion.

cmziall said...

Patricia - FYI, if you look under the "Leave your comment" box it says "Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author".

Anonymous said...

Good one, Tim. Really had me going for a minute. Then again, I didn't visit your page until today, the day after April Fools. I should have known better, after all this is the Timman.
BTW, Patricia, comments don't always post immediately, even if they aren't moderated. So sorry that the humor was lost on you; such a shame to go through life without a sense of humor.