16 March 2010

Charter Cable and EWTN

A reader sent me the following email-- I haven't had the chance to verify the underlying information due to work constraints, but wanted to give a heads up and contact info for those who may be affected:

My mom woke up this morning to find that Charter Communications had removed EWTN from their normal cable lineup, and was now requiring customers to sign up for their digital package in order to get it. She called, and they told her that it was EWTN's decision to be removed. However, she called EWTN and EWTN told her that this is false.


This is over here in Illinois, but I cannot verify if it has also happened on your side of the river.

Here is the email she wrote and forwarded to her friends.

-----------I woke up this morning to find that Charter has removed EWTN from their channel lineup. When I called them they said that it was EWTN's choice to "go digital" and would charge an extra 5 dollars a month to get "the box" to view it. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. EWTN is always provided free to the cable networks so all people can have access to it. They certainly did not request to be an "elite"channel. [...] EWTN has their staff working on the situation but they suggested that as many customers as possible call to complain to Charter.

Here's the number: 1-888-438-2427

If you call, the automated voice will prompt you to say "agent" to get to a real human being. Politely tell them that you know that is not true and (if you feel like it) suggest that you might feel compelled to drop them as your cable provider. If enough people complain perhaps by the end of the day the channel will be restored. Again, I spoke with EWTN twice to verify that this change was not requested by the network .... No doubt today there will be a lot of Catholics and non-Catholics alike who will be missing the comfort and inspiration that EWTN provides for them every day.... Please lend your voices to this effort.

12 comments:

Delena said...

This happened to my mother-in-law, too, and the extra money spent for the EWTN channel is actually a "Faith" channel that has a mix of evangelical protestant shows along with some EWTN stuff. My mother-in-law was EXTREMELY mad, and she wrote in.

A. L. Jagoe said...

I am delighted to have dicovered your splendid site which I will receommend to our readers. Let's keep in touch!
Armiger Jagoe, editor
The Joyful Catholic
http://thejoyfulcatholic.wordpress.
com/

Anonymous said...

Comcast did the same thing in the Pittsburgh, PA, area, moved EWTN from the basic service to the digital service only, about two years ago. Seems to be a trend.

Anonymous said...

I live in St. Louis MO and just checked both of our TVs (yes, we have 2!) and we're getting snow right now instead of EWTN. I called about it, and a very nice lady told me that we should be getting EWTN, that there isn't any notice about an outage and that she would put through a trouble ticket! Very interesting... we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, you might let readers know that they can watch a live feed from the EWTN website. Just click on "Television" on the main page, and then click on the "LiveTV" link (English or Spanish).

Jane Chantal said...

I was in shock this morning, too, when I found that EWTN had simply vanished. When I spoke to "agent" at Charter, she read me a list of cable shows that had been assigned new channels, with EWTN having been moved to channel 152. I immediately checked, and sure enough, an encore episode of "Mother Angelica Live" was on channel 152, which is now listed as EWTN on my menu -- but if it turns out to actually be some hodge-podge "Faith" channel instead, that's going to be SERIOUSLY upsetting. And for basic cable subscribers to be without EWTN -- totally unacceptable. Thank you for getting the word out.

Anonymous said...

This happened to us in Athens, Georgia, too, a couple of years ago--Charter Cable. All of a sudden it went from Channel 99 (Basic) to first-tier digital (115). It bothers me because my non-Catholic husband used to (I suspect!) secretly watch it on our other TV. But now that it's on premium, we're just not going to pay for another box for another TV, so he no longer has this option. I'm bummed.

Anonymous said...

Down south near the bootheel, I watched the EWTN daily Mass with my boyfriend's grandmother last night at 11, then Mother Angelica came on. I guess it's not affecting us here (yet). Charter is the cable provider in town.

Marissa

Peggy said...

I received the same email, Tim. I confirmed at night that EWTN was missing from the Charter line up. I found it at 152...at least the Metro East channel. We happen to get digital here.

Anonymous said...

we have comcast in springfield, il - they did the same thing - removed EWTN and required an extra charge for it. I think it is a money making move.

Cathy said...

Same here. Finally got the kids to bed last night and turned on the tv and no EWTN. I was also told I could upgrade to digital and get EWTN again for an extra $5 month.
We're considering switching to satellite instead. I'm tired of getting poor service and fewer channels all the time from Charter.

Badger Catholic said...

A few years ago in Wisconsin, Charter changed the EWTN feed, not sure if preemptively moving it. I eventually canceled Charter over the deal. It was VERY fishy, there is definitely something going on there.

Anonymous said...

I live in Chesterfield and can no longer access EWTN, either.... now shows on 152 in the scrolling guide on channel 02 and I cannot get to triple digit channels... Charter is awful...