24 June 2010

"The Lord Hath Called Me from the Womb"-- The Feast of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist

Today's Gospel, Luke 1: 57-68:

1 57 Now Elizabeth's full time of being delivered was come: and she brought forth a son.
1 58 And her neighbors and kinsfolks heard that the Lord had shewed his great mercy towards her: and they congratulated with her.
1 59 And it came to pass that on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child: and they called him by his father's name Zachary.
1 60 And his mother answering, said: Not so. But he shall be called John.
1 61 And they said to her: There is none of thy kindred that is called by this name.
1 62 And they made signs to his father, how he would have him called.
1 63 And demanding a writing table, he wrote, saying: John is his name. And they all wondered. 1 64 And immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue loosed: and he spoke, blessing God. 1 65 And fear came upon all their neighbours: and all these things were noised abroad over all the hill country of Judea.
1 66 And all they that had heard them laid them up in their heart, saying: What an one, think ye, shall this child be? For the hand of the Lord was with him.
1 67 And Zachary his father was filled with the Holy Ghost. And he prophesied, saying:
1 68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel: because he hath visited and wrought the redemption of his people.

2 comments:

nazareth priest said...

Today, after celebrating the EF of the Solemnity of St. John the Baptist, I renewed my vows as a religious and a priest...the words of the Divine Liturgy were so wonderful...my name in religion is John Mary of the Annunciation; although my primary patron is St. John the Evangelist, my heart was moved by the words today...so absolutely wondrous to be called from conception...I knew it very young; I pray that I will persevere until death; I do it very badly...but Jesus and Mary will help me; I know it. Thank you!

thetimman said...

Father, God bless you this day and every day. You are in my prayers.