24 July 2010

Into My Own Country

"But love must not be wrought in our imagination but must be proved by works.... Oh Jesus, what will a soul inflamed with Your love not do?  Those who really love You, love all good, seek all good, help forward all good, praise all good, and invariably join forces with good men and help and defend them.  They love only truth and things worthy of love.  It is not possible that one who really and truly loves You can love the vanities of earth; his only desire is to please You.  He is dying with longing for You to love him, and so would give his life to learn how he may please You better.

"O Lord, be pleased to grant me this love before You take me from this life.  It will be a great comfort at the hour of death to realize that I shall be judged by You whom I have loved above all things.  Then I shall be able to go to meet You with confidence, even though burdened with my debts, for I shall not be going into a foreign land but into my own country, into the kingdom of Him whom I have loved so much and who likewise has so much loved me."

--Saint Teresa of Avila

No comments: