01 August 2010

Charity and Humility

"O good Jesus, how often after bitter tears, sobs, and indescribable groanings, You have healed the wounds of my conscience by the unction of Your mercy and the oil of Your joy! How often after I have begun my prayer without hope, I have found my joy again in the hope of forgiveness! Those who have experienced this know that You are a real physician, who heals contrite hearts and solicitously tends their wounds. Let those who as yet have not had this experience believe, at least, in Your words: 'The Spirit of the Lord hath anointed Me; He hath sent Me to preach to the meek, to heal the contrite of heart.' If they still doubt, let them approach You and learn, and they will understand what Your words mean: 'I will have mercy and not sacrifice.'


"O Lord, You said, 'Come to Me, all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you.' But what path should I take to reach You? The path of humility, for only then will You console me. But what consolation do You promise to the humble? Charity. In fact, the soul will obtain charity in proportion to its humility. O what sweet, delicious food is charity! It sustains us when we are weary, strengthens us when we are weak, and comforts us when we are sad. O Lord, give me this charity which makes Your yoke sweet and Your burden light."


--St. Bernard

1 comment:

sms fundraiser said...

Charity , Donation helping a cause are all the essential & at some point of time in our lifetime it will strike our consciousness.