20 October 2010

It's Official: The Holy Father Announces that Archbishop Burke Will Be Made a Cardinal at the November 20 Consistory

Say it with me:  CardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinal BurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurkeCardinalBurke.

Cardinal Burke!

Well, until November 20, 2010, it's technically Cardinal-designate Burke.

The Holy Father named 24 prelates in all, including Archbishop Malcolm Ranjith of Columbo, Sri Lanka, who, like Cardinal-elect Burke, is a great friend to liturgical restoration and is steadfast in doctrinal fidelity.

The full list:

From the curia:

Angelo Amato (Saints), Fortunato Baldelli (Apostolic Penitentiary), Raymond Leo Burke (Signatura), Velasio de Paolis (Economic Affairs), Francesco Monterisi (Archpriest of Saint Paul), Kurt Koch (Christian Unity), Gianfranco Ravasi (Culture), Paolo Sardi, Robert Sarah (Cor Unum), Mauro Piacenza (Clergy).

Resdidential Archbishops:


Antonios Naguib, Alexandria (Egypt); Paolo Romeo, Palermo (Italy); Reinhrad Marx, Munich and Freising (Germany); Kazimierz Nycz, Warsaw (Poland); Donald William Wuerl, Washington (USA); Laurent Monsengwo Pasinya, Kinshasa (Congo): Medardo Joseph Mazombwe, Lusaka (Zambia); Albert Malcolm Ranjith Patanbendige Don, Colombo (Sri Lanka); Raul Eduardo Vela Chiriboga, Quito (Ecuador); Raymundo Damasceno Assis, Aparecida (Brazil).

And, non-voting Cardinals over age 80:

Elio Sgreccia (Italy), José Manuel Estepa Llaurens (Spain), Walter Brandmuller (Germany), Domenico Bartolucci (Italy - pictured above with the Holy Father).

Archbishop Burke issued the following statement:

I am deeply humbled and honored by the announcement that His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI intends to name me to the College of Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church at the Consistory which he has convoked for this coming November 20th. Having received the news of the Holy Father’s intention, I express my deepest gratitude to His Holiness for the great confidence which he has placed in me, and I renew my commitment to serve Him, as Shepherd of the universal Church, in total fidelity and with all my being.

 Considering the weighty responsibilities of the members of the College of Cardinals in assisting the Holy Father as his closest co-workers, even “to the shedding of blood,” I am more than ever conscious of my own weakness and of my total dependence upon the help of divine grace, in order that I may fulfill worthily and generously the responsibilities which will be mine, God willing, as a Cardinal of the Church.

I count upon the continued intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Communion of Saints, and the prayers of the many faithful whom I have been blessed to serve as priest and Bishop, especially in my home diocese, the Diocese of La Crosse, and in the Archdiocese of Saint Louis, and of those with whom I have been, in the past, and am now privileged to serve in the Roman Curia, especially my co-workers at the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura. Only the knowledge of God’s immeasurable and unceasing outpouring of mercy and love from the glorious pierced Heart of Jesus gives me the confidence to accept the great honor and burden which His Holiness intends to confer upon me.

Today’s announcement turns my thoughts with deepest affection and gratitude to my late parents and all my family, living and deceased; and to the priests, consecrated persons and lay faithful who have assisted me to know my vocation to the Holy Priesthood and to respond to it with an undivided heart over the more than thirty-five years of my priestly life and ministry. Today, with all my heart, I humbly thank God for the gifts of life, of the Catholic faith, and of my vocation.

At the same time, my thoughts naturally turn to the many challenges which the Church faces in our day in carrying out her divine mission for the salvation of the world. In particular, I am deeply conscious of the critical importance of the loving witness of the Church to the truth, revealed to us by God through both faith and reason, which alone is our salvation. It is a witness which Our Holy Father tirelessly gives with remarkable wisdom and courage. I pledge myself anew to assist Pope Benedict XVI in this critical witness and in the many works of his pastoral charity on behalf of all our brothers and sisters in the Church and in the world.

 I ask for prayers that I may be able to assist our Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI to the best of my ability and with every ounce of my strength. I, once again, place my whole heart, together with the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, into the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. In the glorious pierced Heart of Jesus, I am confident that I will find the purification, courage and strength which I will need to carry out the new responsibilities to be confided into my hands. I thank, in advance, all who will pray for me, and ask God to bless them abundantly.

And Archbishop Carlson issued this statement:
 

The Archdiocese of St. Louis is very proud Archbishop Raymond L. Burke, presently Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura and Archbishop Emeritus of St. Louis, will be elevated by Pope Benedict XVI to the Sacred College of Cardinals at a Consistory in Rome on November 20, 2010.

 Cardinal-designate Burke will be the fifth person who served as Archbishop of Saint Louis to be elevated to the College of Cardinals, after John Joseph Cardinal Glennon (1946), Joseph Elmer Cardinal Ritter (1961), John Joseph Cardinal Carberry (1969) and Justin Francis Cardinal Rigali (2003).

 In the Catholic Church, Cardinals constitute a special body (Sacred College of Cardinals) whose primary responsibility is to elect a new pope. The Cardinals also serve as special advisors to the Holy Father —either individually or when they are called together to deal with issues of major importance.

 Cardinal-designate Burke’s faithfulness and service to the Church have served the people of St. Louis well, and we proudly extend to him our congratulations, best wishes, and promise of prayerful support.

More on the announcement can be found on the Archdiocesan site, which has a consistory information page, and the official announcement is found at the Vatican site.

Thanks be to God for this wonderful news!




13 comments:

thetimman said...

Also, for local readers, you may notice a name that is not among the others: Archbishop Dolan of New York. Though another consistory is rumored for next year...

Reading the statement of Cardinal-designate Burke, I am struck by his usual humility, faith, courage and determination to carry out his responsibilities before Christ.

You can't read that statement without thinking that His Grace will not change stripes when he changes the color of his cassock.

Father G said...

yay!

How does His Eminence Raymond Cardinal Burke sound?

Petty good to me!

How about the most Eminent and most Reverend Lord Raymond Cardinal Burke?

I like that even better!

And both are perfectly correct forms of addressing a cardinal of the Roman Church...cool...n'est pas?

Anonymous said...

In a sense, this is a sign of better times coming for our church, though it will clearly become more painful before it gets better.

We need to hit rock bottom before we begin to heal and actually become the Body of Christ.

Burke is going to help us reach rock bottom much quicker.

Peggy said...

Amen, amen. Yes, I was looking for Abp. Dolan's name as well. Fr Z had hinted he expected Abp. Dolan to be named a cardinal also.

[Somewhat relatedly, on the local front, can we demote another STL Cardinal--Tony LaRussa? Just a thought.]

Jane Chantal said...

What very welcome, wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

Disappointing statement, as I really expected a shout out to this website. Other than that, fabulous news.

thetimman said...

Laboring in obscurity is fine with me...

Anonymous said...

When Archbishop Dolan is named a cardinal, he will, unfortunately, cancel out Cardinal Burke

Alfonse said...

"When Archbishop Dolan is named a cardinal, he will, unfortunately, cancel out Cardinal Burke"

Wow, if this doesn't clearly express what is wrong with our church nowadays! Why does one automatically "cancel out" the other? One good and one bad? Such a sophomoric way of seeing the world.

thetimman said...

Wade, I appreciate the sentiment, but want to avoid any needless discord if someone misunderstands.

Anonymous said...

Alfonse, how is it sophomoric? When Archbishop Dolan was in Milwaukee, he was a great enabler of AmChurch. He was great for all the dissenters.i.e. those in favor of same sex marriage, general absolution, first confession after first communion, priests who live with their "significant other" and on and on it goes. I don't see Cardinal-designate Burke as allowing any of those things. Do you?

doughboy said...

and the traddy's all say "doo...doo doo ... doo doo ... doodoo .. doodoo doodoo .. dooo doo doo ...."

i dunno i'm just so tickled i turned all silly! :D

Anonymous said...

Take a look at the torches the seminarians (?) are holding. It looks to me like they all found similar sticks---duct taped the top and lit them----isn't that cool?
(I may be wrong...)
Any body else?
Maybe CH would know.
AZ