01 November 2010

For Those of You Still Holding Your Breath for Unbiased and Accurate Religion Reporting

Imagine my delight yesterday on the Feast of Christ the King to receive the following email (purporting to be, at any rate) from Charles Jaco, local TV reporter.  Charles was kind enough to try to straighten me out in this email, with the subject line, "Mythology":

I was referred to your site by someone else. I haven't encountered such a collection of arcane superstition references since the last time I read Ambrose Bierce.

Do you do Norse and Greek mythology also? Or do you concentrate on folktales from the Middle Roman period?

Charles Jaco

I can't be sure if Charles' point was to highlight that he has heard of Ambrose Bierce (author of The Devil's Dictionary, among other works), or rather to highlight that he would never have condescended to notice my blog if "someone else" hadn't referred him, or maybe to try his hand at humor.

I began to feel a little sorry for him that such a celebrity would think it necessary to send a sarcastic email to a two-bit blog, but in all fairness I did allude to him as the Russ Carnahan of journalists, and that had to sting.

Regardless, I can only respond with gratitude to him, as his email provides a keen insight into just how it is possible for him to provide such accurate and unbiased reporting about the Catholic Faith.

It goes without saying that I couldn't see Charles writing such an email to a blog with the title "Saint Louis Muslim" or "Saint Louis Hebrew" without fearing for his continued employment.  But of course, the sacred cows of the enlightened left may never be touched.

I really hope Charles was going for humor.  As I have blogged before, it doesn't come easily to progressives.  And though it wasn't exactly funny, I do appreciate the effort.  Visit the site anytime!


Anonymous said...

I will keep Charles Jaco in my prayers

Anonymous said...

LOL ... charitably put Timman, all without skipping a beat or working up a sweat. I think Charles was going for same kind of humor as he no doubt intended in the 'not really' Persian Gulf broadcast in 1990.

I wouldn't worry about Chuck losing his job either since he's now gone from KTRS ... already happened. Unfortunately replaced by a personality who shuffled in from Buffalo, NY 20 years ago and latched into St. Louis like a bad toe fungus.

We don't have too many notable flaming liberals in St. Louis, but those we do have are interesting personalities to say the least! We just laugh at them and move on.

Keep up the great work!

Chris said...

This is a reporter? Send the note back to his editor, and also to the editors at any rival stations. How about the Catholic League, too? Ask for an explanation of why a supposedly professional journalist would attack someone he doesn't know in this fashion. Include his note along with your response to the newspapers in the area. Forward it to other bloggers, including secular bloggers.

Athelstane said...

Hello Timman,

Don't mind Mr. Jaco. To be confronted with the living reality of a more traditional Catholicism must be ... a jarring experience for him. I expect the same is also true of the more traditional manifestations of non-Christian religions, too; but it may be easier for him to make allowances where The Oppressed Other is involved.

I depend upon you for much of my quota of arcane superstition - Keep up the good work (Odin, Thor and Zeus are not necessary, however).

Long-Skirts said...

Charles Jaco said:

"...such a collection of arcane"

said the bald-headed old f*rt!

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Is the picture associated with this blog post Timman or Charles Jaco?

JBQ said...

You have to understand that "Jakes" is a personal friend of "Poor Claire" since he was responsible for tricking Akins into falling into a bottomless pit and ensuring the election. Sadly, he was a major factor in the reelection of Mr. Obama.