31 December 2010

"All Differences are Theological Differences."

"Is there any place that is free from evil? It is too simple to say that only the Nazis wanted war. These communists wanted it too. It was the only way in which they could come to power. Many of my people wanted it, to be revenged on the Germans, to hasten the creation of the national state. It seems to me there was a will to war, a death wish, everywhere. Even good men thought their private honour would be satisfied by war. They could assert their manhood by killing and being killed. They would accept hardships in recompense for having been selfish and lazy. Danger justified privilege. I knew Italians-- not very many perhaps-- who felt this. Were there none in England?"

"God forgive me," said Guy. "I was one of them."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waugh's Sword of Honor.

I hate to admit it, but I watched the movie and haven't yet read the books . . .