18 February 2011

Flip Side

With all of the nifty discussion at the Lincoln Brigade post, I thought this quote about the "reconstruction" from Robert E. Lee (as an aside, a direct descendant of St. Thomas More) might spark some discussion. I never read it, or knew of it, until I read DiLorenzo's The Real Lincoln:

"Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in my right hand."

--Robert E. Lee to Texas Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (September 1870), as quoted in The Life and Letters of Robert Lewis Dabney, pp. 497-500.

6 comments:

Methodist Jim said...

Of course, referencing Lincoln in the context of what Lee perceived as the ills of "reconstruction" five years after Appomattox could be a bit misleading, since Lincoln was assassinated just five days after Lee's surrender.

thetimman said...

I referenced the post on the Lincoln Brigade and the conversation it sparked.

Methodist Jim said...

My apologies for seeing a broader context in light of recent conversations.

Dan said...

Methodist Jim: I'm not quite sure what the point of your response is. Could you provide more clarity?

Many thanks.

Methodist Jim said...

Dan, which response is unclear. If my apology is unclear. Sorry. Apparently I read more into Timman's post than he intended.

Michael D Patrick said...

This quotation allegedly made by Lee is widely recognized as a fraud. Indeed, Lee after the surrender until his death worked for reconciliation between the North and South and honored the terms of surrender. Lee was too honorable a man to have ever said anything close to this fradulent attribution.