18 March 2011

I Figured as Much-- and More, Too

The UK Guardian is reporting that the government uses false online identities to counter what it perceives as anti-American propaganda on the internet, including social networking sites. Of course, this belies the current regulatory push to ensure that ordinary people don't use false online identities, but I digress.

I had figured this before, but the news story got me thinking. What if this underhanded activity isn't just being done by the government? We know that certain political candidates hire scads of drone supporters to monitor blogs, facebook, chatrooms, news sites, etc, to provide their candidate's talking points after every post with which they disagree. But what about the aging phalanx of guitar-strumming, content-void Spirit-of-Vatican-II-"liberals"? Veterans of stirring dissent from the bottom up, can we just blithely assume that they aren't active as well? Perhaps they wish to counter Catholic "propaganda".

Imagine, if you will, an underground bunker in an undisclosed location. Perhaps, deep under the penitentiary-like structure of L.A.'s cathedral, run by the seven remaining Sisters of Loreto, you'll find a huge bank of electronic communications devices. The faint odor of Birkenstocks and tofu permeate throughout. Scores of veterans of the altar girl insurgency man the stations, ready always and everywhere to jump on a Catholic blogger or facebook page owner if they stand up for objective truth, defend traditional marriage, or in any way stand for the rights of the Church.

Maybe they work in shifts, and at the end of each shift the group gathers in a circle for women-led liturgy and green tea. They share their daily journeys--"Hey, man, you should have seen me stick it to the Tin Man, man." "Yeah, man." Then off they go to a vegan feast, job well done.

Think of the possibilities. Is Long Pants really Joan Chittister? Is cdg Elsie Mc Grath? Is "anonymous" really the Boze?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, there is medication for paranoia...

The reason this "anonymous" sometimes comments is because I absolutely love my Catholic faith, my personal prayer life, and my communion with fellow believers - some of whom have different faith journeys than I.

And it galls me to see so many judgments that the way I prefer to worship and pray somehow must be inferior because its not like yours, or worse - it must be 'wrong.'

I just don't get the whole thing about needing to knock someone else's deeply-held beliefs just because it is dissimilar to yours. Nothing about that seems Catholic, or Christian, to be honest.

Anonymous said...

You caught me Timman. I would write more, but I'm off to the vegan feast that we have every Friday. . . we actually have it twice on Fridays during Lent, just to stick a thumb in the eye of Lenten regulations.

Sincerely,

Proud SLPS Parent
a/k/a Sister Joseph (you know, the worker one) Karl Moonbeam

Prekast said...

How do we not know that you, "TheTimman," are not also some lib-Cath, fake ACTING like a conservative, traditional, neo-lithic,caveman-like "Catholic" just to provide a foil for the other lib-Caths to respond?

It could very well be given your penchant for dredging-up on quarterly basis, veils (or not), appropriate shoes, and polyester pants VS. dress/skirts.

Badger Catholic said...

I'm freaking out man!

thetimman said...

Anonymous, just an attempt at humor. I don't think I mentioned worship styles as "right" or "wrong", and I am certainly glad you love the faith. Pax.

thetimman said...

And you can click here for some humor directed at fellow "trads":

http://stlouiscatholic.blogspot.com/2011/02/products-you-can-use-tradmark-c.html

Anonymous said...

I'm just wonderin' what ever happened to TGL??

Anonymous said...

"Humor?"
Oh my - I thought that "humor" and laughing are strictly verbotten in your church! Some might even call it 'abuse!'

Anonymous said...

Timman, Well done! Of course, the most frightening kind of scary film is the one that portrays something that could actually happen, right? That's why I quaked in my boots at your description: it actually sounded like a real-life LCWR convention to me! May those graying, vapid anti-Catholics disappear ever more quickly from the scene.

thetimman said...

Yes, by conversion of heart, I agree...