24 March 2011

Solemn Stations of the Cross in Belleville

A friend passed along the above item (click to enlarge) as a response to the Yog[i] Bear Stations of the Cross over at Wash U. A different kind of spiritual experience, perhaps.

As an aside, I have always loved the image of Our Lord's crucifixion shown in this photo. The original is by Velazquez, and is one of the favorite paintings of my wife and me in the Museo del Prado. A reproduction of this painting hangs in the sanctuary of the Old Cathedral downtown, where we were married. I think it well depicts the sorrow and utter isolation of Christ as he hung, laden with our sins. A good Lenten image.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Thanks for posting. I know Fr. Myler will be delighted by the attention given to this solemn event.

I had no idea how to post the image on my blog. Thanks for doing it here!