25 July 2011

"Catholics Line Up to See Cross and Veil Relics"

 
Fox 2 covered the relics exposition this past weekend at St. Francis de Sales Oratory.  My wife and I were able to make the Saturday event, so I can't speak to Friday's attendance.  If it were close to Saturday's turnout, it would have been huge.  The talk of Fr. Martens-- very informative-- was given to a full house in the Church hall prior to the display of relics in the Church.


It was a great blessing to those in attendance.  There were so many important relics that it was nearly overwhelming.  Imagine if you will stopping yourself, because you just sort of breezed past a relic of St. Luke the Evangelist, because, hey there were others just as great.  Each encounter with these relics-- nearly all of them first-class relics-- was a special means of intercessory prayer to these friends of God.  As Catholics, we believe in the communion of saints, and this was a very tangible reminder.


Others may have their own experiences to report, but I will pass along something my two oldest children told me afterwards.  My daughter and my son did not arrive together, and did not go through the exhibition together.  Yet at home, each of them told my wife and me that when they touched the relic of St. Alphonsus Liguori, they clearly smelled incense.  I was not fortunate enough to smell incense or roses, but I was glad to venerate relics of my patrons and those of Our Lord, Our Lady, St. Joseph and the Apostles.




All you Saints of God, pray for us!

10 comments:

HSMom said...

I would love to say I smelled roses, or heard bells, or that I got up and walked to our car afterwards; I did not. But the blessing that was being in the midst of so many 1st and 2nd class relics is inexplicable.

I will say, though, every time I came to a Saint whose patronage extends especially to boys and to education--thinking of Ss. Dominic Savio, Aloysius Gonzaga, John Berchmans, Thomas Aquinas and others--I felt a strong devotion, being a homeschooling mom to boys. It was almost like I met them for the first time, but will now make recourse to them often, on a more personal level.

Deo Gratias!

Mark Scott Abeln said...

For me it was Bl. Seelos

He preached here, and has local veneration at Saint Mary of Victories and Saint Alphonsus Ligouri.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what the reporter was referring to at the end when he said later they would report on another impact of the relics to SFdS?

Anonymous said...

Anon 14:18:

Why don't you ask him? Kurt LaBelle, kurt.labelle@tvstl.com

Anonymous said...

once again, commenters with differing views than yours are not published. what is so wrong with a differing opinion or an open-minded discussion?

thetimman said...

Anonymous, based upon your comment, I assume you are the person who attempted to comment yesterday evening. I was going to post your comment, which I just received in the queue this morning while at a work assignment that did not allow me to do so, after I edited slightly to remove inappropriate material.

I will not post comments that are detraction, or which could be construed as such, unless there is a reason why the publication of the negative fact is justified, and hence, not detraction.

I have no problem with publishing a differing opinion, just as I'm sure you would respect my right to post comments according to certain rules of politeness.

Anonymous said...

the fact the I thought the priest cheapened the event was inappropriate?

I truly enjoy this blog. It's on my daily read list. But I am done. Nothing I said was meant to be taken as derogatory. I loved the event. I was just curious if anyone else felt the sense of "traveling salesmen" as i did.

You have lost a loyal reader, if you care.

thetimman said...

I am sorry to hear that I have lost a loyal reader. I am also sorry that a loyal reader would, first, assume that "once again" I wasn't posting the comments of those who differ from me because their comment wasn't moderated within 15 hours or so. Second, even if you disagree with my previous comment, I am sorry that a loyal reader would ditch reading the blog after one such disagreement. Third, the opinion you expressed in your comment was fine, generally, but there was one thing you mentioned about the person involved that I thought was a little uncharitable. That's it.

Anonymous said...

"You have lost a loyal reader, if you care."

Well, at least this isn't Sweeps month. There goes your advertizing rates...

Anonymous said...

Well, Timman, with that loyal reader gone, you're down to six.