22 August 2011

Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary-- and the Other Timothy

Happy Feast Day of Our Lady!  From the Epistle (Ecclesiasticus 24: 23-31):

As the vine I have brought forth a pleasant odour: and my flowers are the fruit of honour and riches.  I am the mother of fair love, and of fear, and of knowledge, and of holy hope.  In me is all grace of the way and of the truth, in me is all hope of life and of virtue.  Come over to me, all ye that desire me, and be filled with my fruits.  For my spirit is sweet above honey, and my inheritance above honey and the honeycomb.  My memory is unto everlasting generations.  They that eat me, shall yet hunger: and they that drink me, shall yet thirst.  He that hearkeneth to me, shall not be confounded: and they that work by me, shall not sin.  They that explain me shall have life everlasting.

I have a portion of that epistle, in Latin, at the top right of the blog under the picture of the Blessed Virgin.  It was one of the first epistles to really "hit" me when I began attending the traditional Mass.

Also, as you may have deduced from my ridiculous screen name, my patron Saint is St. Timothy, the disciple of St. Paul, and Bishop.  But I have always had a strong curiosity to know more about the "other" Timothy, listed as Timotheus in the missal, whose feast is honored to be commemorated on this great day of Our Lady's Immaculate Heart, along with Saints Hippolytus and Symphorian.  All that is said about him in the missal entry is that he was martyred in the reign of Maximian.  Butler's Lives of the Saints doesn't have an entry for him, though it does for St. Symphorian.

The Catholic Encyclopedia has this to say of him:

During the pontificate of Melchiades (311-13), St. Timotheus came from Antioch to Rome, where he preached for fifteen months and lived with Sylvester, who later became pope. The prefect of the city, Tarquinus Perpenna, threw him into prison, tortured, and finally beheaded him in 311. A Christian woman named Theon buried him in her garden. This is related in the legend of Sylvester. The name of Timotheus occurs in the earliest martyrologies.

Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
St. Timotheus, pray for us!
St. Symphorian, pray for us!
St. Hippolytus, pray for us!

No comments: