12 August 2011

Giving It a Think

I've been driving all over the state recently, and I got to thinking.  That sort of thing usually gets me in trouble.

Maybe you can help me out.  Feel free to answer any or all of the following questions in the combox:

1.  How far (in minutes) would you consider it too far to visit a good friend on a:
a) daily
b) weekly
c) monthly
d) yearly


2.  Why are the Hosts I've received in most EF locations I've visited thinner, lighter and melt-ier than in the OF locations?

3.  What is the best Catholic novel of all time (and please do not include scripture in this category)?

4.  What is the best Catholic movie of all time?

5.  The best church you've actually visited:
a) in the US
b) in the world

and why?

6.  Who is your confirmation Saint and why did you choose him or her?

7.  Do you think the Review will hire me for its "New Media Journalist" position?


Anonymous said...

a) I don't think I'm a very good person. Can't think of anyone I know who would want to see me daily.
b) See abive
c and d) we shouldn't measure friendship in miles, however the answer would depend on if there is a Five Guys on the way to visit them.

2) I've wondered the very same thing myself

3) There is a 3 way tie; Dan England and the Noon Day Devil, Come Rack, Come Rope and By What Authority

4) Would you believe The Long Gray Line? Very visible, yet at the same time subtle Catholic visuals and references throughout the movie.

a) The St. Joseph Shrine, St. Louis, MO- it's beautiful, it was once nearly dead and because of the love of the Faithful it was restored AND it is the site of an approved miracle.

b) St. John Lateran Astoundingly beautiful, and large church steeped in the history of the world and Christendom.

St. Mary Major too, miraculous beginnings and magnificent beauty. I mean the Crib of our Lord is there for all of the world to see.

6. St. Leonard of Port Maurice. I wish I could say it was because I knew anything about him.

7. No, because I accepted the position this morning!

Mark S.

Anonymous said...

Re: #2: The Hosts I received [at Mass in the OF] while living in southern Germany for a summer were at least twice as thick as the ones I get at [OF] Masses in the U.S.

Re: #3: Brideshead Revisited gets my vote, or just about anything by Flannery O'Connor.

Anonymous said...

8. Why do so many people confuse "then" for "than"? But then again, you weren't homeschooled, so you have that excuse, I suppose.

Proud SLPS Parent

///good fun

Anonymous said...

1) a) 2 minutes
b) 16 minutes
c) 31 minutes
d) 10 hours and 1 minute

2) I am not qualified to answer this question. But, in fairness, since it is the Body and Blood (or, maybe for Methodist Jim, the True Presence) should a difference even be noticeable? Maybe your saliva is just thicker now?

3) Of those that I have read, a very limited number, I would have to say The Hobbit (I know, I know).

4) Eh. Don't know.

5) a) St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York, but our own (new) Cathedral is probably the most amazing from an architectural standpoint. The preference for St. Patrick's is a matter of my own person taste for gothic architecture over baroque.

b) Notre Dame in Paris (I'd actually like to say Westminster Abbey, if just because I am morose in my tastes as far as history goes. Granted, it hasn't been a Catholic Church for quite a while now.)

6) Paul. We experienced similar conversion, minus the horse riding and being struck blind, of course.

7) [shakes magic 8 ball] my sources say no [shakes magic 8 ball again] doubtful


Proud SLPS Parent

JBQ said...

The hosts for the OF have to be heavier for handling. St. Patrick's Cathedral was great. Franco set up shop just across from a Cathedral on Palma de Majorca. It could have been Malaga. It was great. "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" by Thornton Wilder is right there among 'em. The "Bells of St. Mary's" was a tear jerker. Looking back, you can see how the Church has gone astray. My Confirmation name was Gabriel and I chose this to go with Michael. I figured that two archangels was better than one. With the internet, you can "make the heart go fonder" a lot more easily than actually going there. As far as your becoming the "media journalist" for the Review, the thought may be to "buy out the enemy" and when the "heat dies down" to cut you loose.

Delena said...

1.) Doesn't matter. You should come visit us.

4.) Going My Way or The Scarlet and the Black.

6.) St. Augustine--he said, "I want to love you, Lord, just now now..." which is kind of how I felt throughout my college years--a desire, but a lack of motivation. I then realized he was REALLY smart and wrote many things above my head.

7.) Will that bring you or any of your family closer to us in KC?

Dang it.

Anonymous said...

1) a) 15 min b) hour c) 1 1/2- 2 hours d) 48 hours

2) I've never noticed. Usually I'm trying to pray at the time ;)

3) Lord of the World or Brideshead Revisited

4) I really enjoyed The Scarlet and the Black (i think that's the proper title)

5) a)The first time I visited St. Francis de Sales in St. Louis, MO. I was utterly enchanted by it. The lights weren't all working and I didn't have a kneeler, but I was still captivated by the liturgy.
b) I haven't traveled much actually. Can't say yet.

6) St. Catherine of Siena. She was dedicated and never gave up.

7) Are you looking for a new job?


Phil said...

1. a) >1 HR, b) >3 HRS, c) >10 HRS, d)There is no limit.

2) My wife and I were actually wondering the same thing. They're kinda thick.

5) US - Saint Francis de Sales, World - Iglesia de San Francisco, La Paz, Bolivia.

6. St. Philip the Apostle - because I was in high school and it made sense.

7. Probably Not.

Cathy D said...

4. The Scarlet and the Black

5. St. Patrick's in Apalachicola, FL.
I love little churches and this had lovely stained glass that reminded me of the sea. Plus the priest who had mass that day was from Ireland. And being there meant we were at the beach.
Internationally I have limited experience, so I'll go with the cathedral in Toledo, Spain.

6. St. Anne. I think I picked her because she was a grandmother and I was thinking of my grandmother. Looking back it fits because we didn't have our first baby girl for a long time either.

7. Sure! Give it a shot!

Anonymous said...

1) No response other than it depends if they owe me money or not.
2) Could be a matter of salivation.
3) Off the top of my head (and besides my own) The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
4) An argument could be made for Porky's III if it sent a lot of people to confession in the days after they saw it. I never did, so I will just say the Mel Gibson one about Jesus.
5) US-Saint Catherine's in Catharine, KS. World-I lost my passport.
6) Saint Francis of Assisi. I chose him because my older brother said he would beat me up if I chose Mark, which was his.
7) Depends. Are you willing to "transgender"?

IrishGal said...

I'm not going to try to answer all of the questions. It hurts my brain to think that much. :)

That said, best catholic novel is Lord of The Rings. Best catholic movie...hmmm... maybe I Confess.

Peggy said...

I'll give it a go after some thinking here:
1. a) 10 mins (b) 30 mins (c) 2 hrs (d) 12 hrs
2. Hmm...I notice they're less susceptible to dissolving and crunchy even at times. I am sometimes suspicious.
3. Very limited experience. "Brideshead Rvtd." I guess. I don't fine Flanner O enjoyable at all, but the "lessons" do linger.
4. DK. Very limited experience.
5. I am a francophile and I love history. I've been to impressive Cathedrals in the US and Europe and Aus--(1) US: Log Church, Cahokia--great historical import--and EF too! (2) Church at Eze France on the cliffs. (Notre Dame de L'Assomption) It was beautiful but in need of paint and other maintenance. No effort was spared in its original construction and decor. Every Church worthy of our best for Jesus. St. Lorenzo, Firenze, was impressive too--unfinished outside and incredible inside.
6. I think St .Cristopher, calling self "Christina". I copied off some other girls. Mindless, rudderless girl at the time. I regret that.
7. Good luck with that.

Rory said...

Oh goody. Give me a questionairre, any questionairre.


1a) I would not visit a good friend everyday.

1b) I would not take more than thirty minutes to visit a good friend weekly.

1c) I would not take more than two hours to visit a good friend monthly.

1d) I would not take more than two days journey to visit a good friend yearly.

(My answers would be modified if I lacked other means of spending time with a good friend.)

2) I haven't noticed a difference in Hosts but I haven't been to a Novus Ordo in a long time.

3) Brideshead Revisited---Evelyn Waugh

Beautiful and believable story of mediocre spirituality, prayer, God's grace. There are few scenes in literature to match Lord Marchmain's death, or Julia Marchmain's final rejection of Charles after years of "sin upon rising, sin for breakfast, sin for dinner, and sin upon retiring." (Excuse the paraphrase...you get the idea.)

Oh...but Don Quixote...what a hoot! What a wonderfully good madman. Some don't know this but King Philip II and Teresa of Avila were contemporaries of Cervantes who "wrestled" with the question of the value of these very popular books on "knight errantry". Don Quixote was a comical example of what some seemed to imagine could happen by reading these sensational stories.

I have only read it once and need to do so again. I am thinking Cervantes saw some value in the high moral tone of these tales without really thinking that the books could turn anyone into a real life Don Quixote!

There is also The Betrothed by Allesandro Manzoni. Those are my choices from Catholic authors.

In my opinion, it could and should be argued that even without their knowing it, many great literary figures wrote "Catholic" books because they created artistic masterpieces about truth, or goodness, or beauty, all of which compliment the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church.

4) There aren't many from which to choose. I liked that one with Montgomery Clift as a good young priest and some gal that he was in love with before, and some entanglement they got into. Hitchcock was often real good.

I don't want my Catholic movies or literature to be preachy. The importance of art is that it instructs AND entertains. The entertainment value is inestimable because it helps us remember and even to absorb with much less effort because we are being delighted. I get a sermon every Sunday and I like it...for about twenty minutes. But I can't endure to read a book length sermon or sit through two hours of preaching.

I am not looking for explicit orthodoxy, but for subtle emphasis on one or two aspects of the true faith that upon reflection, make themselves clear. You don't look at a beautiful painting and declare you never need to see again. The same with great books and good movies. If we pondered the great works, we wouldn't have time for the garbage!

5) The Basilica in St. Louis, MO.

Probably because I haven't been to very many churches. I am sure I don't have the practice or appreciation to be able to comment very sensibly on why I liked it.

6) I chose St. Francis deSales as my confirmation Saint because it was his tracts that he wrote for the Calvinists of Geneva, published in America as the Catholic Controversies, which provided the apologetic arguments that helped me to accept the Catholic faith.

But I am so happy with him. His subsequent devotional works are so lovingly and tenderly written, but with the scholarship of a true doctor of the Church, he firmly insists on my perseverance, while tenderly condescending to be accesible in my human frailty. (I love his short chapters! Heh.) What a wonderful patron!

7) Have you applied yet?

ATW said...

2. If they want to emphasize the meal aspect, they have to give you something substantial.

3. Does the Divine Comedy count? Technically a poem, I suppose.

4. Pass. (Although the Scarlet and the Black is very good.)

5. a)St. Mary's, Wausau, WI. Stunningly beautiful.
b) St. Peter's Basilica, Rome. The mother & mistress of all churches.

HSMom said...

1. I don't need to visit friends, I have Facebook. JUST KIDDING!!

2. My husband and I have noticed and wondered the same thing.

3. Kristin Lavransdatter, Brideshead Revisited.

4. I love watching Carroll O'Connor's portrayal of a loving and devout Catholic grandfather in the delightful "Return to Me".

5. SFdS

6. St. Elizabeth of Hungary. I was new convert in my early 30s, and single. Wishing to be married, I read many saint stories hoping to find one to whom I could pray specifically for this intention. I chose St. Elizabeth who had a beautiful marriage and loved her husband dearly. Four years later I moved 2200 miles and married my dear husband at his parish church, none other than that of that of St. Elizabeth of Hungary.

Anonymous said...

2) I've always assumed it was because the OF Hosts have to be made for the wear and tear of Communion in the hand, but maybe I am wrong about that.

3) This is impossibly hard to answer, but if you include poetry then Dante's Divine Comedy, if not than somewhere between Waugh's Sword of Honour (sorry JD!!!) and Sigrid Undset's Kristen Lavansdatter.

4) The Quiet Man
Seldom is the beauty of a simple Catholic life - complete with its petty failings and beautiful graces - captured in such a humorous and touching manner.

6) Maria
I chose our Lady (specifically under the title of our Lady of Guadalupe) because 1) I wanted to be her knight; 2) in honor of St. Joseph, another patron of mine; 3) because I had a comic book of St. John Mary Vianney, and I thought it was cool that a man with "a girl's name" fought against the devil. :-)

7) No. My true calling is to be a snotty Ph.D. at StarBuck's.

I may come back to answer 1 and 5 later.


Rory said...

I have noticed that many here share my admiration for Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. I thought some of you might find this of interest. I have his letters, edited by Mark Amory and published by Penguin.

The last known of the many letters he wrote was on March 30, 1966. It begins to a Lady Moseley as follows:

Dearest Diana,

Beware of writing to me. I always answer. It is part of my great boringness, never going out, or telephoning. My father spent the last twenty years of his life writing letters. If someone thanked him for a wedding present, he thanked them for thanking him and there was no end to the exchange but death...

Death. The last known written words of Evelyn Waugh were in this letter from Lent of 1966. I do not mean to derive anything more from them than to appreciate the profound confusion that must have gripped Catholics who loved the Traditional Mass in those years.

Continuing to Lady Moseley, he writes with candor:

"Easter used to mean so much to me. Before Pope John and His Council - they destroyed the beauty of the liturgy. I have not yet soaked myself in petrol and gone up in flames, but I now cling to the Faith doggedly without joy. Church going is a pure duty parade. I shall not live to see it restored. It is worse in many countries.

Please don't answer, unless to say you would like the Sword of Honour omnibus."

---Waugh died on Easter Day, 10 April 1966. He attended Mass, said in the form he preferred by Fr. Caraman, returned to Combe Florey and had a sudden heart attack in the morning.

Anonymous said...

3. Brave New World. Not specifically Catholic, but in my opinion Huxley expertly describes what will happen (actually, is currently happening) when our enlighted age succeeds in throwing off the constraints of the Church.
"O wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world! That has such people in it!"

4. Man for All Seasons. Although I detest the undertone in the film that More died in defending the "rights of conscience" rather than the rights of the Church and the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony, it beautifully shows how a single holy man can defeat the nefarious intentions of the overweening state. Something we will witness - and perhaps be called upon to do ourselves - much more of in our own time.

Margaret: Haven't you done as much as God can reasonably want?
More: Well ... finally ... it isn't a matter of reason; finally it's a matter of love.

5. a) St. Patrick's Cathedral
b) Haven't been out of the country, but from photos my favorite foreign church is Sainte Chapelle in Paris.

6. St. Stephen Protomartyr, because of his love unto death for Christ, and his forgiving heart.

Curmudgeon said...

3. Sword of Honor (written as three books but mine are bound together so I'm counting it as one.

--KC Curmudgeon

thetimman said...

I'll put in my two cents:

1.a-- two minutes, if they want a daily visit. b.-- half-hour. c.-- two hours, more or less. d.-- twelve hours. All are fairly arbitrary.

2.-- I am convinced that the OF Hosts are thicker because the Liturgical experts almost demand that you chew them, to emphasize the "meal" aspect.

3.-- I am indebted to reader X for so many good Catholic novels recommended. It is indeed hard to choose. If poems count, the Divine Comedy has to win, but sticking to novels only, Come Rack! Come Rope! by Benson gets my vote. I will never forget my reaction at the end of that book. Brideshead is a good answer, too, and I like all of the ones mentioned.

4.-- The Passion is the best movie I've ever seen. But leaving it to the non-biblical, I would say Metropolitan. This is only a Catholic movie in the sense Rory asserts.

5.a.-- St. Francis de Sales Oratory, for reasons apart from its architecture. b.-- tough call again, but St. John Lateran (the mother and mistress of all churches), with the statues of the apostles gracing the nave, the cathedra itself, and its glorious ceiling, says "apostolic succession" better than anything else could. St. Peter's is in a class by itself for grandeur. Some other magnificent churches would include Ste. Chapelle, St. Trophime, Chartres, St. Peter in Chains, Santa Maria sopra Minerva, the Cathedral of Toledo, the abbey Church in Melk, Austria, and St. Mark's in Venice.

6.-- St. Joseph, I was not particularly reflective at the time and so stumbled into a great patron.

7.-- That's a no.

Anonymous said...

Canticle for Leibowitz is the best book ever. That is all.

thetimman said...

Can't argue with you.

X said...

3. If poems are allowed, The Ballad of Reading Gaol by Oscar Wilde. Honorable mention, Three Who Ventured by Myles Connolly.

4. Franco Zeffirellis Jesus of Nazareth, honorable mention Mel Gibsons violent tour de force masterpiece The Edge of Darkness. It rips the diabolical mask off of the madness Americans today love to call reality and holds you to the cleansing fire of truth. If that's not Catholicism I don't know what is.
A tip of the cap to a forgotten classic Detective Story with Kirk Douglas. A movie which dances around the issue of abortion but in a time when the idea was so taboo and repulsive that the word itself is never uttered. We've come a long way. It can be seen on Youtube.

5. St. Andrews in Pasadena California.
Sainte Chapelle, as close to Heaven on Earth as any man has yet achieved. There will be no peace until the True Mass has been returned to it.

Anonymous said...

How do you define "Catholic novel" and "Catholic film"?

Are you referring to the theme or plot?

Not sure how to respond since I do not know what you consider a "Catholic" novel or movie to be.

Anonymous said...

1. How far in minutes-driving or walking or flying or by bus or train?
The shorter the distance the more likely the visit. Cost of transportation dictates the frequency of a visit for me. I recently flew to FL to visit a friend. It took 3hours flight time plus 2 hours getting to/from the airport and then checking in. I stayed 4 days. Cost was $600. That kind of trip would be yearly.

2. Hosts distributed at the church I attend vary from time to time. Some days they are thicker than others. BTW the good Benedictine sisters in Tucson prepare and sell low gluten breads for celiac sufferers.

3. Do not think of novels as being Catholic or Lutheran or Baptist.

4. Not sure it is the best Catholic film of all time, but The Nun Story.

5. College Church (SLU) in the 60s
Star of the Sea, York Beach, ME
Their simplicity.

6. Maria because Marie Goretti was canonized around the time of confirmation. It was the "in" choice for the girls.

7. Have no clue. Do not know you or know the job description.

Teak Phillips said...


a: 20 minutes
b: 20 minutes
c: 20 minutes
d: 20 minutes.

(Doesn't it take 20 minutes go get everywhere in St. Louis?)



a: Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis
b: Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls (Rome) or St. Peter's Basilica (Vatican)

6: St. Florian. I was a firefighter at the time.

7: Your application has not yet come across my desk. Did I miss it?

Anonymous said...

Doubt was a powerful movie