08 November 2011

Thanks a Million!

Writing a blog can be a lot of things:  fun, educational, trying, frustrating, a temptation to sin, a lesson in humility, useful, interesting, and lots of other things.

Mostly, I am grateful for a platform to try to spread the Catholic faith, to support the Pope and any faithful bishops, priests and laity that could use it,  and to evangelize based on the Tradition and traditions of the Church, especially in her liturgy.

Today, this blog surpassed the one million mark for unique visitors; there are also more than 1.4 million page views.  After a slow start, it averages approximately a quarter of a million hits a year.  There are bigger blogs and more interesting bloggers, but I am very grateful to every reader who visits here.  And thank you to the person who encouraged me to start it; you know who you are. Thank you.

From the time I began this blog in 2007 I have been truly amazed that anyone unrelated to me would read it at all, let alone read it often.  Many readers have said such kind things in comboxes, emails and conversations to keep me going; I don't think you will realize how much I have appreciated them.  Lots of other readers have said critical things, and sometimes that is helpful as well.  Providentially, the positive comments have always outweighed the negative.  But whether you cared enough about what I wrote to encourage or complain, I am glad you were motivated by this blog.

I thank God for any good this blog has accomplished, and ask Him for forgiveness for any harm it has done.

Today is the feast day of the Four Holy Crowned Martyrs.  After doing some minimal research, I have decided to make them co-patrons of this blog, after Our Blessed Mother, St. Francis de Sales, St. Benedict and St. Thomas Aquinas.

Why?

Well, for one thing, they are anonymous saints.  We really don't know their real names, though they have the Fourth Century version of "screen names":  Secundus, Severianus, Carpoforus, and Victorius.  These names are given in tradition, but are probably not their real names.  They were Christian soldiers who refused to sacrifice to a false god, earning the emperor's enmity.  Their feast day is shared by more well-known martyrs whose names we know (see the link), also martyred in the Fourth Century.  Finally, their feast was removed from the modern liturgical calendar, and considering everything this blog stands for, I am glad to have patrons whose feast, and thus whose memory and intercession, were scorned by the denuded calendar.

May the Four Holy Crowned Martyrs intercede for all who read, and all who write, this blog.  May God bless you and your families.

9 comments:

MrsC said...

Though I don't agree with you on everything, I really enjoy reading your blog and learning from you and from others who converse in this civilized virtual meeting place. Keep up the good work, and here's to the next million!

Shandon Belle said...

Dear Father, maybe your readers would be interested in the pictures and reports from the recent Pontifical Low Mass in St. Peter's and the FIUV General Assembly.

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/2011/11/fiuv-2011-three-traditional-masses-in.html

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/search/label/IFUV

God bless you!

Maeve

thetimman said...

Thanks for the link, but FYI I'm not a priest.

Shandon Belle said...

Woops! Sorry 'St. Louis'! If only they were half so good!

Did I also mention that Cardinal Burke came to lunch with the FIUV?

God bless you!

Maeve

Badger Catholic said...

Keep up the good work timman.

Karen said...

I guess neither one went through. I'll try again: You are one of the reasons I began attending Mass at the Oratory. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You will probably never know how many people you have touched.

thetimman said...

Thank you all for the kind words.

And Karen, you are welcome; to God be the thanks.

Mother Crab said...

I cannot believe 4 readers can generate that many hits. It's a miracle!

thetimman said...

Ah, yes, Mother Crab, but you forget I used to have seven!