05 March 2012

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

O my God, You make me realize how far I must descend in order that my heart may serve as a dwelling place for You: I must become so poor that I have no place whereon to lay my head.  My heart is not wholly emptied of self, and that is why You order me to descend.  Oh! I want to descend much lower, so that You will be able to rest Your divine head in my heart and know that there You are loved and understood.  O sweet, divine Guest, You know my misery; that is why You come to me in the hope of finding an empty tabernacle, a heart wholly emptied of self.  This is all You ask.

--St. Therese of the Child Jesus (taken from Divine Intimacy, by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D)

The words of Psalm XLI-- "Abyss calls unto abyss," resonated with me today during prayer.  They seem perfectly suited to Lenten meditation, as the abyss of our humility-- our true knowledge of self, its misery and its nothingness-- is what is able to call out to the abyss of God's mercy and draw it down on itself.  The passage above, expressing the great humility of the great Saint of humility, is good advice for all of us, particularly bloggers with a too-inflated opinion of themselves.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us!
St. Therese, pray for us!

No comments: