05 June 2012

Substitute "Blogger" for "Barber"...

...and my name for the barber's, and thus I offer this tribute to priests like Canon Michael Wiener of the ICRSS: 

Joe Pallavicino is my barber...

On Sunday mornings he loves to come to Solemn Mass and behold me standing at the high altar clad in the gorgeous vestments of a celebrant.  I shine amid a blaze of lights.  I am bowed at by respectful attendants in their flowing maniples and braided gowns.  I am showered with incense by graceful altar-boys.  I raise my hands majestically and speak aloud the beautiful phrases of the Latin prayers.  I burst into song and am answered from the distance by a triumphant organ and a full-throated choir.  I walk to and fro in an aura of mystery surrounded by golds and marbles, linens and flowers.  I gesticulate to the accompaniment of chimes.  One thousand pairs of eyes approve and interpret my every movement.  I raise this multitude to its feet when I go to read the Gospel.  I drop it on its knees with the paeans of the Sanctus.  I send it into a hush at the sacred moments of the Consecration.  I am the protagonist in the greatest drama that happens under the stars.  I am Joe Pallavicino's hero of heroes.  He has never met anyone in the world so wonderful as me.

On Monday morning it is quite different.  I walk into Pallavicino's barber-shop with all my glory gone from me.  I am the most nondescript-looking person imaginable.  I am dressed in somber black....

But Joe Pallavicino refuses to forget me as he saw me on Sunday.  My image in its moment of grandeur has been burned into his memory... 

--from Fish on Friday, by Fr. Leonard Feeney

PS-- Just ponder for a moment that this Mass, and this respect for the glory of the priesthood, was not confined to a microscopic number of parishes and oratories when Feeney wrote this book.  And this was barely a generation ago.

May Our Lord have pity on us and raise up more priests, and flocks, like those described above!

Pray for our priests!

7 comments:

Prekast said...

....including this particular photo makes this somewhat poignant.

Prekast said...

More to the point, substitute "slacker" for "blogger"....

Anonymous said...

This is, without a doubt, one of the most humorous and touching of Fr. Feeney's excellent essays. Thanks for sharing!

JJR

Hootiecootie said...

AMEN!!

X said...

It is right and just that Father Feeney be praised and honored, but will there ever be justice for Father Coughlin, a true prophet and martyr, vindicated by time and events?

Long-Skirts said...

Speaking of Holy Priests,I just got back from seeing the movie about the Cristeros who fought and were martyred for the Faith in Mexico in the 1920's.

It is called: FOR GREATER GLORY

I am telling anyone who is a Catholic to RUN don't walk to see this amazing film.

You will be so proud of being a Roman Catholic and the theatres should be packed with Catholics! This is our life, our Faith, Our Lord!!

VIVA!

Viva!
Viva Cristo Rey!
Viva!
Just shouted yesterday.

Viva!
So hated down in Hell.
Viva!
Was shouted by Miguel

Viva!
Viva Cristo Rey!
Viva!
Just shouted yesterday.

Viva!
All Catholic boys should know.
Viva!
This word from Padre Pro.

Viva!
Viva Cristo Rey!
Viva!
Just shouted yesterday.

Viva!
His arms outstretched, they shot.
Viva!
To stop the Catholic plot.

Viva!
Viva Cristo Rey!
Viva!
Just shouted yesterday.

Viva!
The body dropped and died.
Viva!
His blood then multiplied.

Viva!
Viva Cristo Rey!
Viva!
Just shouted yesterday.

Viva!
His blood runs through our veins.
Viva!
A holy hemorrhage rains

Viva!
For Viva Cristo Rey!
Viva!
Forever and today.
VIVA!!

Jack B. said...

Let us pray for Canon Wiener in this difficult time:

"Canon has undergone several medical tests in the past
weeks. Doctors tell us that the results from these exams
indicate that Canon Wiener is now suffering from lymphoma.
Since the doctors here in St. Louis have said
that this form of lymphoma is quite treatable, Canon
Wiener has just begun chemotherapy."

- From the latest bulletin of St. Francis de Sales Oratory