05 February 2013

I Imagine It Was--and Will Be-- Something Like This

As we watch the remains of Western civilization swirl around the bowl, drain-bound at last, it is always tempting to compare the situation, Leibowitz-like, to the fall of the Roman Empire so long ago.  I don't know about you, but I have sometimes asked myself, "What was it like for Christians of the that time?  Did they know what was coming?  How did they feel, and what did they do?  What could they have done?"  

Don't worry, I don't often answer myself.

This morning, an epiphany! I had my answer.

As all middle-aged nerds, I enjoyed Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  Little did I realize it was an Oracle.

The following scene shows the gallant Sir Lancelot storming Swamp Castle.  This is what I think it must have been like, and also how it is playing out now.  

The allegory is uncanny.  The residents and guests (worldlings) are feasting, and all are oblivious to their fate.  Two lonely watchmen stand guard-- they must be Catholic bloggers.  Let's assume the one stuffing his face is thetimman.  The other?  Who knows.  They aren't exactly crack defenders.  In the distance, their doom!  The watchmen see it coming.  It's far away.  It's still far away. Still far away.  Hey, it's no big deal, it's not gaining any ground.

Then, a pathetic "hey!"  And we're gone.  

Enjoy the ride:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buh-bye !!!

Bill said...

I can watch this scene a dozen times in a row and laugh harder each time.

Or at least I used to. I guess now it's kind of depressing.