20 March 2013

"My hand was being moved by some greater spiritual force."

So says Cardinal Mahony:
  
...When we eventually arrived at the Sistine Chapel on March 12, I was still pondering two or three candidates.  However, when the first blank ballot was given to us, and when it was time to write down a name, something powerful--and strange--happened.
I picked up my pen to write, and I began.  However, my hand was being moved by some greater spiritual force.  The name on the ballot just happened.  I had not yet narrowed my thinking down to one name; but it was done for me....

7 comments:

Jane Chantal said...

Somebody please find Mahoney a quiet corner somewhere in which he can rave, mutter, free-associate and fantasize to his heart's content about his...specialness.

Just let it be without microphones.

dmw said...

Kasper the Friendly Cardinal?

Marlow G said...

Would this revelation of his violate the oath of secrecy?

Anonymous said...

I have come to view Cardinal Mahony the same way that Gandalf understood Gollum: Both are self-seeking, incredibly dangerous, and may, alas, share a similar fate. Still, Gollum's actions ended up saving Middle Earth in spite of himself, and I can only hope and pray that maybe Mahony's "inspiration" somehow was guided by a source other than that he usually listens to...

JJR

Ryan said...

Wow! But apparently this kind of thing could never have happend to the authors of scripture! That's just silly fundamentalism. So say the biblical scholars. I'll bet the Cardinal agrees.

JBazChicago said...

He's used to that sort of thing. That's exactly how Ouija boards work. I would assume that's what he blames for his terrible judgment on everything from architecture, pastorals on the Eucharist, and names to put on ternas for auxiliary bishops. If this guy is proud of his record on anything other than getting up in the morning...he's delusional.

LMG said...

If what the Cardinal says is true, Pope Francis will be a very holy Pope, indeed. He may have needed the Holy Ghost to write in the name for him.