10 April 2013

Christ and Judas

The awful jumble of the gross, the trivial, and the grotesque shot up between the two yellow fangs, and the hand on the priest's ankle shook and shook with fever. 'I've told lies, I haven't fasted in Lent for I don't know how many years.  Once I had two women-- I'll tell you what I did...'  He had an immense self-importance; he was unable to picture a world of which he was only a typical part-- a world of treachery, violence, and lust in which his shame was altogether insignificant.  How often the priest heard the same confession-- Man was so limited he hadn't even the ingenuity to invent a new vice: the animals knew as much.  It was for this world that Christ had died; the more evil that you saw and heard about you, the greater glory lay around the death.  It was too easy to die for what was good or beautiful, for home or children or a civilization-- it needed a God to die for the half-hearted and the corrupt.

-- Graham Greene, The Power and the Glory

4 comments:

Rae said...

Great quote. I love this novel!

thetimman said...

Rae, you are right as can be. I recommend every Catholic adult to run, not walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy it immediately (i.e., click on Amazon).

X said...

Politically, The Quiet American is his masterpiece. Every Catholic American that still worships WW2 or thinks Rush Limbaugh is some kind of a messiah should be tied to a chair and beaten half to death with it.
Theologically my preference is The End of the Affair. There is nothing quite like it though it's probably not for the bare shoulders crowd, but then what Graham Greene book is?

Also, I hate Jane Austen.

thetimman said...

The last comment was gratuitous. There's a lot of similarity between Greene and Austen.


Well, not so much.

They are both English, though.