10 October 2014

Friday Poetry Corner

Hello, dear readers!  It seems to me that my posts have been somewhat in the Debbie Downer category lately.  Therefore, I am going to institute a weekly measure of culture.

Welcome to the first Friday Poetry Corner!

The Second Coming
by W.B. Yeats
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?


Methodist Jim said...

Just when I thought this blog couldn't get any worse, you've proven me wrong.

St. Corbinian's Bear said...

Good choice, but I am constrained to point out few poems are more of a downer. Perhaps some Wordsworth next time.

thetimman said...

Methodist Jim, like I told you at lunch, they need you at the Synod!

But on a more serious note, the reality is that the Pope almost certainly would rather hear from you than from me.

Exciting times.