12 November 2014

The Last Refuge of the Neo-Catholic Brute Squad








Holding my nose as I provide a link, but doing so because it isn't at that den of vipers, Patheteos.

What can you do when after having been paid rather handsomely to constantly write that Francis is really the second coming of Benedict XVI (and of course to slander and otherwise attack without mercy anyone who notices otherwise), it becomes obvious even to you that you are dead wrong? That the Catholics you've attacked might be right? I guess you do some soul-searching, right? Admit they have a good point, maybe? Maybe apologize and seek to work together?

Well, maybe that's what you would do. But Mrs. Rex Mottram has a different approach: flat out denial, fingers in the ears, throwing a fit as she scurries into a corner to hide out and hope she still gets paid while everything somehow works out in the end (and of course to attack without mercy anyone who notices otherwise). The miasma you might be starting to notice is coming from the brief excerpt below:

Have You Heard the Latest about Cardinal Burke?

I haven't. I also haven't heard the next-to-latest, or the thing before that, or the rumors that were circulating about the possible repercussions of what might happen if the rumors that had been previously circulating turned out to be true-ish.

I don't know, and I don't care.

And it's been a deliberate decision not to care, and a deliberate decision not to know what's going on. I've seen the headlines saying that this is proof that Francis the Freethinker is finally cracking down on the moldy old trads eagerly fomenting schism. I've also seen the headlines saying that this is proof that Francis the Slaughterer is squelching the one true voice that still dares to sing out its hymn of Faith. I've seen the headlines speculating, refuting, predicting, reassuring, warning, and celebrating. And I haven't read any of them.


I suppose it is progress for this fringe player in the paid Neo-Catholic Brute Squad to lay out so clearly her usual research prep for her work, but that is the only sign of progress. After this intro, the rest of the piece is typically puerile. Read it if you wish at the link above.

To sum up: "I refuse to listen to you and you are stupid and evil."

Thanks for that, dear.

UPDATE: Mark Shea also assures us nothing is wrong and that you are stupid and evil. No link--you can generate income for Shea in your own time. The Patheos crowd has its marching orders indeed. There Can Be Nothing Wrong. Except for evil trads, and buy my book!




9 comments:

Konstantin said...

I'm only 29 and they already call me moldy and old?

Murray said...

I've started to use Mottramism as a description of the Patheos Pathology: it's literary and evocative (if somewhat obscure) and crucially, it is a Twitter-friendly four characters shorter than "ultramontanism".

As to Fisher's Non curo! on the matter of Cardinal Burke, I agree that this has the feel of protesting too much. Several months ago, Mark Shea wrote something very similar about the FFI, loudly averring that he didn't care one bit about the murky suppression of a semi-traditional order, best to tend one's own garden, etc. Since Shea (along with Fisher) is paid to generate histrionic clickbait about topics well outside the bounds of his zone of competence, I was surprised to find that some matters turn out to be mysteriously off-limits!

Long-Skirts said...

Simcha said:

"don't know, and I don't care.

And it's been a deliberate decision not to care, and a deliberate decision not to know what's going on. I've seen the headlines saying that this is proof that Francis the Freethinker is finally cracking down on the moldy old trads eagerly fomenting schism. I've also seen the headlines saying that this is proof that Francis the Slaughterer is squelching the one true voice that still dares to sing out its hymn of Faith. I've seen the headlines speculating, refuting, predicting, reassuring, warning, and celebrating. And I haven't read any of them."

COME
WITH
ME
NOW

Lord, come with me now
To worldly men won’t bow
Lord, come with me now
Within the Church, wow!

Lord, come with me now
O’er stormy seas and how
Lord, come with me now
Our hearts, they won’t cow!

Lord, come with me now
Won’t wallow with the sow
Lord, come with me now
We’ll grab the sword and plow!

Lord, come with me now
We’ll wipe the sweat from brow
Lord, come with me now
Pour forth your grace, endow!

Lord, come with me now
Not gently but a row
Lord, come with me now
Into that night…Thou!!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. There will come a time when it will be crystal clear that there is and has been a schism brewing for quite some time. The neo-catholic water-carriers will either have to join the church of darkness, as described by Ven. Catherine Emmerich, or admit their mistakes. I honestly doubt that most of the water-carriers will apologize. Instead, they'll be writing as furious as ever, telling us that truth can change from pontiff to pontiff.

AugustineThomas said...

@Konstantin

It's always fascinating to have someone twice your age tell you that you're a relic from the past because you value orthodoxy!

Pete said...

YOu know, whenever you first posted that Rex post, I thought of Shea immediately b/c he's been wont to say for years that he'll do whatever the pope tells him. If the church says X (in liturgy was the issue) was ok, then he's fine. He doesn't care. He's not a very discerning person.

"beyond his competence" is quite right. He just plops things up on political and economic matters where it is clear he has no real knowledge, just opinions. He does not correct unjust statements. 9 times out of 10 it will be found that he doesn't investigate the story and there's always another side he ignored. But he will engage in character assassination anyway.

I am sorry. I suppose it is unkind and uncharitable of me to say such opinions of another person in a public forum.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love that she says: "I don't know and I don't care." Okay, why is she writing for a newspaper that coves the Catholic Church. Her job as a writer is to cover issues in the Catholic Church, but it appears she knows nothing about a story that has made headlines all over the world. Why is she covering the Catholic Church if she doesn't want to know or care to know. As a former journalist, when I wrote or spoke, I made sure I knew everything about the topic I was covering. Apparently, that is not how she operates as a "journalist." Apparently it makes sense for her not to know. And then she has the arrogance to say, you shouldn't know either. It is madness. Seriously. A so-called journalist writes for a Catholic paper to cover the Catholic Church, but when an unprecedented move happens (things that are actually newsworthy) Catholics should pay no attention -- meanwhile the news is covered by every major media outlet in the world. This is laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Anonymous said...

@constintin yeah same here old timer, im 26

raymond nicholas said...

Upon reading Lady Rex's essay, I realized that she has an abundance of intellect and I am the very model of a modern stupid Catholic! The higher Church secrets must be withheld from me, for I lack the comprehension. Just pat me on the head and say "Good Boy!"