01 April 2015

Spy Wednesday: On the Threshold of the Triduum

On the very eve of His death, Jesus says to His disciples: "You are they who have continued with me in my trials"; and He immediately adds that, in return, He prepares for them a kingdom, as His Father has prepared one for Him: "As my Father appointed a kingdom for me, so do I appoint for you." This divine promise applies equally to us. If we have stayed with Jesus in His trials, if with faith and love we have often contemplated his sufferings, Christ will come, when our last hour sounds, to take us with Him that we may enter into the kingdom of His Father.

The day will arrive, sooner than we think, when death will be close to us. We shall be stretched out on our bed, without movement. Those around us will be looking at us, silent in their powerlessness to help us. We shall no longer have any vital contact with the outside world; our soul will be one-to-one with Christ. We shall know then what "staying with Him in His trials" is; we shall understand Him when He says to us, supreme and decisive, in that agony which is now ours: "You never left me in my agony; you accompanied me when I went to Calvary to die for you. Here I am now; I am near you, to help you, to take you with me. Do not be afraid, have confidence, I am here!": "It is I, fear not." We shall then repeat, in full assurance, the words of the Psalmist: O Lord, though the very shadow of death surrounds me already, I "fear no evil, for you are with me."

--from Christ in His Mysteries, by Blessed Columba Marmion

Light blogging until next week. Have a blessed and holy Triduum.

No comments: