29 September 2015

"Serve God and Be Cheerful": Michelmas Reboot

But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap. 

He drew a deep breath. "Well, I'm back," he said.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

OK, back in the saddle.

Let me start by clarifying what I'm going to say next.  In no way do I desire to recant my thoughts and feelings on the disaster we're going through in the Church.  I believe that it is the job of any Catholic worth his salt to stand for Christ regardless of the scorn and hatred of the world.  In relaunching the "tone" of the blog, I don't want anyone to think that that will mean that I'll just post rainbow and puppy dog stories and adopt Homer Simpson's attitude:




So, when the occasion requires, I intend to continue to point out things I think are necessary.  To you who don't agree with me, I'm sorry.  It is my blog, you know. There are plenty of Homers out there to read if you want to avoid all bad news.  Or tune in to the last 47 seconds of local news to see squirrels on water skis.

That being said, pointing out the bad, or the obvious, can be wearying for reader and blogger alike.  Pointing out errors of those God had placed, or allowed to be placed, over the governance of the Church is a weighty matter, and one that no idiot in front of a keyboard should take lightly.  Repetition without a real need can lead to despair.

I tend to hyperbole, and I will just calm down a little. As a friend told me, things really aren't as dramatic as I think they are.  And they are far more dramatic in ways I don't think about.

My spiritual director has advised me for some time to focus on the truth from a positive perspective.  He's right, and that is what I will try to do.  Not yielding on the truth, but encouraging as much as possible.  I'm not worried about losing readers; I don't have many left.

So, planted here, listing to the "music that comes from a far letter land", here we go.

Oremus pro invicem.

____________________

The world is old
The world is grey
Lessons of life
Can't be learned in a day

I watch and I wait
And I listen while I stand
To the music that comes
From a far better land

[…]

It's the last day's last hour
Of the last happy year
I feel that the unknown world is so near

Pride will vanish
And glory will rot
But virtue lives
And cannot be forgot

The bells
Of evening have rung
There's blasphemy on every tongue
Let them say that I walked
In fair nature's light
And that I was loyal
To truth and to right

Serve God and be cheerful
Look upward beyond
Beyond the darkness that masks
The surprises of dawn

In the deep green grasses
And the blood stained woods
They never dreamed of surrendering
They fell where they stood

--Bob Dylan, Cross the Green Mountain

5 comments:

Pete said...

I had money on it being a Bob Dylan piece. Very nice.

Glad you're back. No, we can't deny the Truth of matters, but we have to find the good as well. We have to remain faithful, commit to daily prayer and so forth. We can't let these events destroy us. We must go on living, working, raising our children, paying the bills, eating, sleeping, etc.

God bless you and yours. Holy Spirit guide Holy Mother Church!

ATW said...

"I'm not worried about losing readers; I don't have many left."

I wondered why it was so lonely out here.

Welcome back.

As MEF is fond of saying, "We must endeavor to persevere."

Elizabeth said...

Welcome back - and on an auspicious day.

Daddy Rangel said...

I am thankful you are back. We are all in the trenches together, brother.
Take care and God bless,
Inocencio Rangel
J+M+J

Elizabeth said...

Yes, it's your blog to do with what you feel called to do. And I'll keep reading on a daily basis, hopefully.

But I admit my first thought was "Oh no, not another Catholic blogger changing to a softer "tone" (like St. Corbinian's Bear just did also)".