02 October 2015

Brace for Impact: Synod against the Family Begins

Good morning, dear reader(s).  Today, fittingly enough, is the Feast of the Holy Guardian Angels, whose help we should indeed be invoking.  Tomorrow is the Feast of St. Therese, the beautiful product of the great gift of a holy and humble Catholic family-- one man, one woman, made fruitful in offspring, all striving for holiness.  

Another great saint to invoke for aid in these dark times.

I'll try to stay abreast of developments and give my take, trying to say something original if possible.  In any event, this weekend and the coming week are times for intense prayer.  The outcome of this Synod may be predetermined, or not.  Dramatic, or not.  Begging God for chastisement.

Or not.

So, hang in there.

Hilary White, the Catholic journalist and essayist formerly with Lifesite News, has begun a special blog specifically to cover the Synod.  Other bloggers are also writing there.  It should be informative; it will be interesting. If you don't like unvarnished opinions, you have been warned.  I will link this blog, What's Up with the Synod?, on the sidebar for the duration of the Synod.

I think this is a very good idea, as the spin machine in certain quarters of the visible Church and the secular media are hard at work to anesthetize and obfuscate reality, so that we all will read the tea leaves as we desire.  Everybody wins in the big tent, and nothing is real.  Ask Kim Davis about that.

A Prayer to One's Holy Guardian Angel, by Nicolas Salicetus, 15th Century: 

I BESEECH thee, angelic spirit, to whom I have been entrusted by providence: that thou unceasingly guard me, protect me, visit me, and defend me from every attack of the devil. While I am waking and sleeping, by night and by day, every hour and minute protect me. Accompany me wherever I go. By the power of God, drive from me every temptation of Satan, and those which my merits do not drive away, by thy prayers hold fast before the most merciful judge, so that nothing contrary may have a place in me. And whenever thou seest me treading upon the slippery path of vice, trouble thyself to lead me back to my Redeemer through the paths of justice. And whatever need or distress thou beholdst me to be in, may I feel the help of almighty God by means of thy protection over me.

I pray thee, my guardian, if it can be done, to make my end known to me. And when I shall be drawn forth from this body, do not allow evil spirits to frighten me or taunt me, nor allow me to fall into the pit of desperation. And do not abandon me until thou hast led me to the sight of my Creator, in which I and thou, as my protector, together with Mary the most blessed mother of God and all the saints may rejoice forever. Amen.

And in Latin: 

OBSECRO te, angelice spiritus, cui ego ad providendum commissus sum: ut custodias me indesinenter, protegas, visites, et defendas ab omni incursu diaboli. Vigilantem atque dormientem, nocte ac die, horis continuis atque momentis confove me. Ubicumque iero, comitare mecum. Repelle a me per virtutem Dei omnem tentationem satanae: et quod mea non exigunt merita tuis precibus obtine apud misericordissimum iudicem, ut nihil in me habeat locum contrariae virtutis admixtio. Cumque me per abrupta vitiorum de via esse videris, per semitas iustitiae incedendo ad redemptorem meum reducere satagas et, in quacumque necessitate vel in quacumque angustia me esse perspexeris, auxilium Dei omnipotentis tuo obtentu super me adesse sentiam. 

Precor te custos meus ut si fieri possit notum mihi facias finem meum. Et, cum de hoc corpore ductus fuero, non dimittas malignos spiritus terrere me aut illudere, neque in foveam desperationis inducere. Et non derelinquas me, iubente Deo, donec ad visionem conditoris mei perducas, in qua simul et ego pro opere et tu pro custodia mea una cum beatissima Dei genetrice sanctisque angelis et omnibus sanctis perenniter laetemur. Amen.            


3 comments:

TLMer said...

Why call it the Synod against the Family? I've read in a few places there are doubts about the Synod because of alleged statements made informally by some bishops. Is there anything more than this that would cause you to believe our bishops and the Pope are going to try to pass rules that will harm families?

Under Francis, has the Church promulgated any false doctrine or any harmful rules, or somehow obscured the truth or even spread falsehood?

The Pope spoke out in defense of families in his address to Congress, and as the Vicar of Christ, he is charged with safeguarding God's truths as well as His children. What has he said or done, offcially, not via hearsay, that calls his intentions into question?

Why do so many traditionalists automatically assume the worst about our shepherds?

I do like the more instructive nature of your blog, and even when I crticize, I do not wish to create the impression that I am somehow condemning all that is posted. I just can't understand why it is that we traditionalists don't assume better interpretations of things, while reserving criticism for media representation of our Church and our leaders.

thetimman said...

I posted your comment, but I confess I am at a loss on how to begin to answer your question. I mean, you have read the news in the last year?

This link is one effort, and not the most devastating:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2015/10/squaring-circle-synods-most-likely.html#more

TLMer said...

Timman, thank you for your reply. I do not want to come across as argumentative. I am confused and concerned by what I read at some traditionalist sites, and since I consider myself a trad, I also frequently wonder what is wrong with me that I so so not understand why things are said about the Church or our leaders.

I have indeed read the news, but I have always assumed thT blogs and other opinion sites are not really news, but more op-ed. It seems that a lot of opinions get stated, then restated, and so on, and they are presented as news, as reporting of actual facts, and this actually heightens my concerns. The Vatican may do this, or Bishop X said that in a certain interview, or we perceive such and such, therefore this and that is what is going to probably happen. And so on.

The piece by rotate illustrates for me a tendency to: 1) pick out certain quotes or happenings, then draw conclusions from these, and 2) to assume the negative about our leaders such that trust in them, trust in their motives is diminished or destroyed.

I read things at different sites in order to broaden my perspective. I get that there are problems in the Church Militant, and as long as we are on this side of the Rez, there always will be. I don't understand why certain op-ed sites, like Rorate, insist on casting such a negative light on things, in essence demonizing our leaders.

I assume these perspectives are grounded somehow in a worldview that looks to be validated by facts, just like a liberal's would, or a political party's would. Is it as simple as that? Is the underlying worldview that fuels opinions like Rorate's one that is deeply suspicious of our hierarchy, that assumes in the absence of certain statements or actions, our leaders must intend that which is bad for the Church? That our leaders are potential enemies who must be criticised and evaluated lest they go off and start running amok?

Is this view so deeply critical of anyone or any ideas that do not exactly match a set of evaluative criteria must always be wrong and must not ever be trusted?

How can any trust in the Church, let alone and peace or joy in her possibly flourish if this indeed the case?

Or, am I totally missing certain fundamental points of reality, PERHAPS again due to my own Protestant background, education, and training, or due to some deficiency in my education or attitude?