29 October 2015

In Praise of Wakes

I had resolved not to link to First Things, due to its decision to trash and dump Maureen Mullarkey.  However, I will make an exception, as a former reader of this blog sent me a link to a nice article he wrote over at FT about the grace and Catholicity involved in the wake and burial drama.  It seems to me to especially timely, in our day of indifferentism, cremation, and slovenly dress.

A very good read.  Get it here:  In Praise of Wakes, by Mark S. Milburn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. I love wakes in a weird and morbid sort of way. I come from a long line of women who are funeral goers and wake goers. While it was exhausting, when my father-in-law died, three different wakes were held. The outpouring of prayer for his soul and the love of family and friends was wonderful.

Alison