11 November 2015

Pardon Me a Little Sentimentality

But this is truly good news.  Leah Rimini, former star of King of Queens and a longtime member of the Scientology cult, has re-embraced her Catholicism and has also baptized her 11-year old daughter in the Catholic Church.  I'm under no illusions, mind you.  I don't know much about her and I cannot speak to the experience she had in Scientology or in her reversion to the Faith.  In other words, I'm not claiming she is St. Augustine or anything.  But this is good news all the same.

The article above, from People magazine of all places, is a typical celebrity-bright puff piece.  And yet, though it isn't designed to be theological (or maybe because it isn't designed to be theological), there are some parts that reveal the beauty of the faith and the workings of grace.

 I highlight just a few, and add my own comments:

Leah Remini on Embracing Catholicism After Scientology: 'To Me It's What Religion Is Supposed To Be'



By Kathy Ehrich Dowd



After more than three decades as a Scientologist, Leah Remini tells PEOPLE she is now finding comfort in Catholicism – and is embracing it for all the ways she feels it differs from Scientology.

"Nobody is asking me for money. Nobody is demanding that I come," she tells PEOPLE in its latest cover story. "I light a candle. I sit and I listen." 

Remini, 45, broke with Scientology in 2013 after growing up within the controversial religion, and rising in stature within the church after she found fame on The King of Queens. 

But the actress – who just released her tell-all book, Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology – says her exploration of Catholicism is also a return to her roots, explaining that she was baptized Catholic and learned about the religion from her Sicilian grandmother.

In September her daughter Sofia, 11, was also baptized Catholic.

[…]

Remini, meanwhile, says she is finding peace as she visits a Catholic church "by myself, sitting and praying and doing my rosary."

"Sometimes I don't do anything," she continues. "To me it's what religion is supposed to be: a beautiful thing.” 
___________________

1. Religion is supposed to be a beautiful thing.  True religion is a beautiful thing.  Beauty is true, it reveals the Truth--the Christ.  The neo-iconoclasts of the last fifty years know this truth as much as the most devout Catholic.  The uglification of churches and rites was never accidental.

2. I sometimes debate with other Catholics about the wisdom or desirability of baptizing infants where their family situation does not look promising that they will be raised in the faith.  Reasonable people can disagree on this, but you cannot convince me that Rimini's baptism hasn't been the source of this beautiful conversion.

3. Note the peace that comes to her from lighting a candle; sitting and listening; and praying the Rosary. There is more "active participation" in these humble activities than in the enforced participatory cacophony of the typical novus ordo. At least that is what I've always found.

Anyway, it's a small piece of good news, but good news nonetheless. I pray she perseveres in the Church. We all know it won't help her career.

No comments: