03 December 2015

The Surprising Truth: My Blog Posts are What I Think, My Links Might Only Be What I Find Interesting

Sometimes the things I post here get me into hot water with sensible Catholic friends.  Note I didn't say "cowardly" Catholic friends. And note I didn't say sensible "Catholic" friends.

No, I mean that some Catholics whose views I respect greatly, and whose Catholicity puts mine to shame, sometimes give me grief over certain posts.  

It all boils down to the debate among all Catholics who love the Church over just what to do about the current Holy Father who, to put it most charitably, has at least been the source of great confusion and some level of discouragement among Catholics themselves.  

The faithful must keep the faith.  That is all, and easily agreed upon.  The means and mechanics are subject to reasonable dispute.  Speaking of laymen, what can or should we "do" about things?  Some will cite Our Lord's admonition that if we deny Him before men He will deny us before His Father to mean that we must constantly speak out; some are now calling for bloggers and other laymen to publicly call upon the bishops to publicly rebuke the Holy Father or demand his resignation.  

I don't agree that it is the job of bloggers to call for heads to roll in a matter of Church hierarchy.  I understand the sentiment, and the innate desire of every Catholic to want things that are outrageous to be righted. I get it, I really do.  But just as I strongly disagreed with good and well-meaning people who called on bishops to walk out of the Synod against the Family, I disagree here as to this strategy.  

There is waaaaaay too much we don't know about the inner workings of the Vatican, and can I also suggest that there is something obviously mysterious and portentous happening in the Church on a macro-level?  Put it this way, for JJR's sake:  Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.  This is not my code for "we're just lay trash and we should leave it to the super smart and holy clergy".  We know where that attitude got us.  No.  It is a matter of proper action and effectiveness.

This does not mean that we cannot or should not stand fast for the faith when our station calls us to do so.  We should.  The dispute is in determining when is that moment implicated for us. My head spins when I think about the mess we are in, and yet my own task remains as it was yesterday and ten years ago:  Get to heaven.  Pray, live a good life, be the best Catholic husband and father I can be.

It took many a talk off the ledge, and likely will take many more, but I am seriously convinced that prayer is the most and maybe the only real effective answer any of us have to this disaster in the Church.  God wants our prayers, especially the Church's liturgical prayers, and through this means we are able to participate in effecting the Divine Will.  

The level of problem we have is enormous. Please pardon the analogy here, and understand that I am not equating the objects of the actions here, just the actions themselves in relation to the difficulty: Our Lord told the Apostles who were having difficulty casting out certain demons that "this kind is not cast our but by prayer and fasting."  

Public witness is good; I pray I will not fail in that in my little corner of Nowheresville, Interwebs, USA. But certain public witnesses can reduce the Church to a mere political enterprise, and that it should not be.

Distrust ourselves, have confidence in God.

Mary Ann Kreitzer at Les Femmes- The Truth writes something with which I am in complete agreement.  At the bottom of a post on Fatima and its relevance to current affairs, where she ponders the meaning of the great "In Portugal the dogma of faith will always be preserved, etc." in Sr. Lucia's letters, she very sensibly concludes:

I don't know and I'm certainly not going to speculate. But what I will do and I hope you will join me, readers, is do everything I can to fulfill Mary's wishes. Tomorrow is First Friday which has its own promises revealed to St. Margaret Mary. The next day is the First Saturday of reparation. Will you join me in hearing Mass, receiving Communion, going to Confession within the week, saying the rosary, and spending fifteen minutes in meditation? None of us has control over what the pope and magisterium do. We cannot force them to fulfill the request of Our Lady to consecrate Russia. We can, however, fulfill her request to all the people of the world: do penance, pray the rosary, and make the Five First Saturdays of atonement.

I agree with this in its totality.
Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us! 


Mary Ann Kreitzer said...

Thanks for linking to my post. I can honestly say I'm another "trying Catholic" trying to do God's will. Let's pray for each other.

St. Corbinian's Bear said...

The Bear finally had to address the elephant in the room and decide (a) is the Pope Catholic; and (b) what to do about it? I think we have a humanitarian leftist whose supernatural sensitivity is impaired. Doctrines are okay, as long as you don't take them too seriously and become a fundamentalist. Besides, we can sort all that out after we bring Heaven to Earth. An echo of that iPhone chat between the Pope and Evangelicals via the late Tony Palmer. One of the preachers said, "We can sort out our differences when we get to Heaven!" Put off the supernatural, God wants results here and now!

The Bear does not think the Pope is Catholic in a way most Catholics would recognize. Fortunately, it is not up to the Bear to sort out what that makes him, then. It is best to think of him as Pope of a different sort and leave it at that. We have our own Catholicing to do.

Jim Boardman said...

There are physical things we CAN do. Only take the Host from the Priest and only on the tongue. I will not act as an extraordinary minister of the Host any longer. And I will explain to people why.

Jim Boardman

Matt McAuley said...

By their friends you shall know them.

JBQ said...

One more angst in support of your view.