25 April 2016

"I Am Thirsting for Truth"

Day after day we hear so much untruth from the appointed leaders of our own Church; it wears us down.  When will it end?  The recent gleeful squeaking of Cardinal Kasper that the pope intends not to preserve all things (or is it anything?) as they were is my starting point today. It isn't that the truth is under attack from without, or that it is betrayed from within by those who should be its guardians.

No, it is the unrelenting attack and betrayal that burn. They don't stop. They won't stop until we apostasize or until we are crucified. God's mercy can never be separated and considered as something apart from His truth.  The Truth, the Person of Jesus Christ. We need a deeper act of faith; we need humility and childlike trust in the God Who will, sooner or later deliver us.  We must be faithful to death, through death.  It comes.


"Ah! eternal Word, tell me, I beg You, what prevents the Holy Spirit from accomplishing all His work in the soul? You tell me that the first impediment is malice; another impediment is the self-will of those who want to serve You, but in their own way. We want Your Spirit, but we want Him in the way that pleases us, and as much as pleases us; in this way we make ourselves incapable of receiving Him. At other times, lukewarmness is the hindrance; we think we are serving You and do not realize we are serving ourselves. But You, O Lord, want to be served with humility and sincerity, without self-love. Thus Your Spirit takes no rest but in a soul which He finds plunged in humility. Alas! O loving Word, I should like to know what I ought to do about these hindrances, for what good will it do me to understand them, if I do not know the cure for them? Now, I see plainly that the remedy for malice is a simple right intention; the remedy for self-will is a will so dead to self that it wills only what You will. The cure for lukewarmness is the ardor of charity, which like fire, comes into our hearts and burns up all tepidity" (St. Mary Magdalen dei Pazzi).

"Come, O Holy Spirit, sanctify me! Come, O Spirit of Truth, fill me! Your divine Wisdom will establish me in the truth. I am thirsting for truth, and wish it to rule over my mind, my words, my affections, and my actions, avoiding everything that is opposed to it, not only lies, but also dissimulation, duplicity, and lack of sincerity with myself.

"Come, O Spirit of Peace, bring me Your peace! That profound peace which dilates the soul and prepares it for Your operations, that peace which calms and dominates all the sensible part of the soul and even the superior part.

"Come, O Spirit of Charity, inflame me and inspire me with Your love, so that I can pour it out over the souls whom I would bring to You! Oh! transform me into love; only thus shall I be able to fully respond to Your call, and be of use to the Church" (St. Carmela of the Holy Spirit, O.C.D.).

--from Divine Intimacy, by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D.

1 comment:

Cathy D said...

For the second week in a row I had to listen to a homily on the glory that is Amoris Laetitia. How come we never got a homily on the glory that is the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? Or any other Catholic teaching. But AL gets the spotlight two weekends in a row.