20 June 2016

Go Ahead and Tell Me Where He is Wrong

This is a Foreward by Michael Matt at the Remnant to an article there.  He discusses the importance to Modernists of changing the Mass before attempting to change doctrine. I can't find fault with it:

It is becoming apparent to this writer that many people, Catholics and non-Catholics alike, are waking to the harsh reality of what Pope Francis is all about. The next step is to help these same good people understand the harsh reality of what the entire Modernist revolution has been about ever since the days of St. Pius X, when popes were still vigorously battling this great ‘synthesis of all heresies’.

The Modernist revolution ‘came out of the closet’, if you will, at the time of the Second Vatican Council, but nowhere was its agenda made more abundantly apparent than in the systematic destruction of the Roman Rite, which took place in the aftermath of Vatican II and with the full blessing of the Spirit of Vatican II.

Once it is understood why Modernists at the ‘heart and bosom’ of the Church attacked the Mass first—because it was the liturgical stronghold, if you will, in which Catholic doctrine had been protected for centuries, and in which even the Latin itself made experimentation and novelty nearly impossible, and which day after day reinforced Catholic ideas so repugnant to Modernist notions of ecumenism, dialogue, universal salvationism, and ultimately the false moral liberty (a mere extension of the Modernists’ crowning achievement of a false religious liberty) on which the rise of abortion, contraception and the destruction of Christian marriage were wholly dependent—then it is easy to understand what’s been going on in the Church for a long time. Quite simply, we are all the victims of a massive Modernist coup d’état, for which our poor, beleaguered pontiff is nothing more than the ultimate poster boy.

The ascendency of Pope Francis to the Chair of St. Peter has always been the endgame of the Modernists—to get one of their own at the very top. Francis did not emerge from a vacuum, and it is unfair to him to suggest otherwise. This has been a long time coming, but, in so many ways, the success of the entire Modernist revolution that he now represents was wholly dependent on the destruction of the Roman Rite, the so-called Tridentine Mass—both from the spiritual as well as the practical perspective.

You don’t like Latin? You prefer vernacular? You enjoy the priest facing the people so you can see his face? Of course, and this is because through no fault of your own, you have been brainwashed by Modernists, causing your understanding of what liturgy is supposed to be to become fatally flawed. You think that liturgy should be all about you, and how it makes you feel, and how you respond to it, rather than about God and the proper worship owed to the Creator. And when it fails to entertain or to make us "feel" something, it becomes irrelevant to us, just as it became irrelevant to millions of fallen-away Catholics since the introduction of the Novus Ordo.

How you and I “feel” about the Mass is really quite irrelevant. In true Luciferian fashion, the point and purpose of the Mass have been inverted. The Modernists knew what they were doing, and superficial abuses such as altar girls and use of the vernacular pale in severity when compared to what they were really all about—the end of the worthy sacrifice that since the beginning of history man knew he owed to God. Thus tables replaced altars, women and guitar strummers diverted attention away from priests, communion rails were razed to make room for ‘gathering spaces’, tabernacles--the holy of holies--were shoved off to the side if not removed from the church altogether, and celebrating the communal meal suplanted God offering God to God on the altar of sacrifice.


donalmahoney said...

I have long preferred the Latin Mass. And I read the Remnant and wish I could stomach the National Catholic Reporter which I won’t allow in the house. But I find both at the extreme edge of reality and prefer The Wanderer. As long as Pope Francis does nothing wrong under the cloak of infallibility, I try to view him the way I do Gracie Allen. She gave me laughs but Pope Francis not always. An orthodox priest friend of mine said he needs to see a gerontologist. I suspect he’s right. But if this pope just keeps talking and not writing encyclicals, he won’t join the long list of Bad Popes. Worry more about James Martin, S.J., and the other Jesuits way off the edge. Some people still take the Jesuits seriously and still cheer for old Notre Dame. You’re young. The pope is ir will be soon 79. Pray for the man. He received his education when the Jesuits taught Aquinas only—that’s all they taught at Loyola of Chicago. The Jesutis and Jenkins are far more a problem than Francis. Ane Wuerl is no champion either.

donalmahoney said...

For what it’s worth, my wife and I had five children rapidly, the first born in 1962 and the fifth in 1968. Two miscarriages in between. It was the era of Voluntary Poverty and we lived it to the hilt. But back then, despite both of us having a couple of good degrees, neither one of us had heard anything about post-partum depression. When my wife broke down in the kitchen I rushed her to the emergency room. An hour later a doctor told me nothing specific, simply said she should relax and gave me a prescription for a med we had never heard of called Miltown, the first tranquilizer. Medicine has improved so much today that I hope all is well with yours. But your agitated writing reminds me of myself at that time when supporting five kids I was the managing editor of a national Catholic magazine founded by O’Gara and Cogley at Commonweal, sold to Notre Dame and then to U.S. Catholic in Chicago when that was a relatively orthodox magazine as were the Claretians who ran it. I remember being on the elevator with all the bigwigs the day Humanae Vitae came out and they were all enraged. I wasn’t. Nineteen years in good Catholic schools told me Paul Vi would do what he did. I realized then I was working with good-works wonderful but theologically deprived gentlemen. I left to go to the Sun-Times. Today I find U.S. Catholic and the few general interest magazines still alive dying of Novus Ordo disease. I tell you all this for one reason: Keep an eye on your wife and do all that you can to help her. Our frist step was to buy a black and white Muntz TV. If your venting on your blog enables you to be fine at home, vent away. But Francis is not our big problem. Our big problem is right here in the U.S.A., some in collars, some not. But the Novus Ordo is here to stay. Pray that Francis does not bother the Extraordinary Form if Benedict dies while he is still pope. He can do that and not act infallibly. Novus Ordo people like cafeteria Catholicism by and large. It’s easier than the old school. Follow your conscience but don’t bother informing it because where possibly might it be informed these days. I wish you the best but your copy at times is disconcereting for your sake. Not for mine. I like Mad Matt but I think he has more kids than us, the Don Quixote of Roman Catholism. If you read this far, you are a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
Perhaps you should consider migrating to New Hampshire and joining the St. Benedict Center. Tell Brother Andre you are worse than I am. You can find him at http://catholicism.org/. Sign up for his Ad Rem blog. You are twins in your thinking. I’m just a little shy of that. His email address is bam@catholicism.org. If he is right, there is no better place for a Roman Catholic to be. You won’t make much money but I suspect you and your family would love it there. I love it from afar and admire them immensely. He’s like Matt with common sense. He has your rage but it’s under control. And he’s brilliant and can write.

thetimman said...

Donal, the novus ordo is not here to stay. I disagree 100%. 50 years from now, either the world has ended or the TLM has been restored.

Rage? I have no rage. A definitive opinion is not rage. Gee whiz.

Pete said...


I will occasionally get the commenter who thinks I must be deranged in my personal life and obsessed all day and night about the horrible things that Francis (and Obama) say and do. I write about it and go live my life. I've got a job, family, house...no time to sit and stew and become angry and obsessed.

Many people seem uncomfortable with others having firm opinions. Too much milque toast in the world.


Sam said...

What rot. I am old enough to remember (and be an altar server) in both the pre-1962 and post-1962 Mass. I much prefer the latter. I have not been brainwashed. Gee, I wonder what kind of study this guy did to determine that all these people had been "brainwashed." And Timman, as to your prediction that in 50 years either the world will have come to an end or the Mass that 95% of Catholics attend will have been abolished, well I wish we were both alive then for me to collect on a very large bet that I'd be willing to make with you. Who knows what things will look like in 50 years? I am pretty certain that the Mass we have today will still be around. Finally, as to the author's statement that Pope Francis is what the Modernists were looking for in 1962, well that ranks right up there with some of the really great conspiracy theories, most of which have to do with UFOs.

Long-Skirts said...

donalmahoney said...

“For what it’s worth, my wife and I had five children rapidly, the first born in 1962 and the fifth in 1968. Two miscarriages in between. It was the era of Voluntary Poverty and we lived it to the hilt”

Oh, boo-hoo!! My husband and I have 10 children, 15 grandchildren and we're STILL living "Voluntary Poverty...to the hilt"!

donalmahoney also said...

“He has your rage but it’s under control”

What a condescending piece of detritus.

“All men have an instinct for conflict: At least, all healthy men.” (Hilaire Belloc)


We battle for Mass
Daily it’s said.
We battle for schools
Where God is not dead.

We battle for books
Published and read
We battle for peace
Retreats are priest led.

We battle to shield
Motherhood’s plight
To let her nurse child
At home day and night.

We battle for men
Who quietly fight
Support them in prayer
To lead us to right.

We battle for truth
Professed in the Creed
Say “NO” to the wolves
Who twist it indeed.

We battle for grace
We drink it like mead
It quenches our thirst
Refreshed so to heed…

All that is said
By wolves wearing rings
Corrupting the facts
With traditional slings.

But triumph is coming
Heart Immaculate brings
‘Cause the war ain’t over…
Till FATIMA sings!!

"in 1968"

Soon your generation will be gone and our sons and daughters will continue to preserve and fight for the True Faith!! Viva Christo Rey!!

Konstantin said...

I too hope that we will see the Restoration of the Mass of ages and all its ancient rites (pre-Pius XII) sooner than later. I cannot imagine that the world will go on for centuries with the Novus Ordo as the official Roman Rite.

donalmahoney said...

Long Skirts is an admirable spokesperson for the Latin Mass, rife with charity and good will toward someone with whom she thinks she disagrees. Having 10 children can understandably affect the nerves.

My original comment had nothing to with any complaint about voluntary poverty or an endorsement of the Novus Ordo. It had to primarily with my concern with what I perceive to be the anger of the author over this particular pope and finding myself long ago not unlike him in that regard when my wife suffered postpartum depression when that affliction was unnamed.

For the record, I would be thrilled to see Cardinal Sarah or Burke one day succeed Francis and restore the Latin Mass. I simply don't thing that will happen.

The Novus Ordo people I know don't get that worked up. They just like to wave the victory sign during the Kiss of Peace. Makes for a less contemplative reception of the Eucharist. I don't wave if I attend a Novus Ordo Mass. I pat my head and rub my tummy till it all stops.

Stay pleasant and well.

Long-Skirts said...

donalmahoney said:

"Having 10 children can understandably affect the nerves."

Another condescending hit!
Don't worry, I'm married to a Clinical Psychologist, Ph.D., now THAT has affected my nerves at times having to make sure he stays on the straight and narrow when it comes to some of his fellow psychologists.

"My original comment had nothing to with any complaint about voluntary poverty or an endorsement of the Novus Ordo. It had to primarily with my concern with what I perceive to be the anger of the author over this particular pope and finding myself long ago not unlike him in that regard when my wife suffered postpartum depression when that affliction was unnamed."

Postpartum depression strikes many women whether or not they have one child or many, rich or poor. You seem to feel guilty as if it was your fault. It's usually caused by an imbalance of hormones and other physical disturbances whether the husband is supportive or not. Stop blaming yourself and trying to make Timman feel guilty too. For Heaven's sake!

I fight the flesh
The world's no test
When I fight the devil
I'm at my best

But combat boots
Size 8 for me
When fighting modern

"Stay pleasant and well."

I stay Catholic, that make me "well".

dulac90 said...

Sam said:

"I am pretty certain that the Mass we have today will still be around."

Imagine what Catholics though about their Mass 100 years ago.

CurmudgeonKC said...

donalmahoney, wow. If you think the Timman is enraged, you would really be taken aback when you encounter real, justified rage. The Timman is suspiciously calm about all of this.

c matt said...

If you are not angry with this Pope you are either not paying attention, not Catholic, or don't care. Figure out which it is and rectify it.