12 October 2016

People, This is Paradise

And the Lord God sent him out of the paradise of pleasure, to till the earth from which he was taken. And he cast out Adam; and placed before the paradise of pleasure Cherubims, and a flaming sword, turning every way, to keep the way of the tree of life. –Genesis 3: 23-24
In the midst of a spiritual direction conference last week, almost as an aside, my director said something that rang true then and has only grown in my mind:

The current situation in the Church is like paradise.


If you haven't been awake the last fifty twenty four years, I can't do much more than I have done to sound the alarm and point out all of the disasters we face today. But remember this: as much as the Church is in turmoil and confusion-- from top to bottom all the way back up-- a time is coming when we will look back on 2016 and wish we had appreciated it.

We have the Mass. You, Joe Catholic, can go to Mass every single day. Even the timeless Mass is available to more people now than at any time since 1970. I, personally, can assist at the traditional Mass every single day.  Do I? The Holy Sacrifice is effected every single day, all over the world.  There are priests to celebrate it. Do I avail myself of this means of salvation?

“A day will come when the civilized world will deny its God, when the Church will doubt as Peter doubted. She will be tempted to believe that man has become God. In our churches, Christians will search in vain for the red lamp where God awaits them. Like Mary Magdalene, weeping before the empty tomb, they will ask, ‘Where have they taken Him?’” -- Eugenio Cardinal Pacelli, the future Pius XII, 1931.

We have confession and the availability of sacramental absolution. How precious is that? You, Joe Catholic, can go to confession at least every week, no matter where you live.  There are still priests who can and will absolve you.  You just have to ask.  Do you?  I can avail myself of a regularly scheduled confession time every single day in my Oratory.  Every day. Any day.  Do I make use of it?

We can speak to, encourage, and commiserate with other Catholics every single day.  We can speak with our brethren throughout the world at any time.  How great is that? Do we encourage each other? Do I encourage anyone? Not nearly enough, I know.

Yes, the obscuring of the faith and the confusing of the faithful at the highest levels of the hierarchy is flat-out wrong, troubling, and a portent of worse to come.  But we have access to Denzinger, the Roman Catechism, books by saints, fathers and theologians at our very fingertips.  I have an app on my phone that gives me a totally solid spiritual library-- greater than that which monasteries used to guard as precious treasures of civilizaton-- that I can access at will. This app contains the Bible, the Breviary, a comprehensive collection of traditional prayers, Aquinas, De Sales, a Kempis, and so much more.  Do I read these things to my sanctification?  Did I mention that I have the entire liturgy of the Church in an iphone app? It is incredible.  These works are not just there, but they are searchable and extremely easy to use.

Do I use these resources for good?

We are free to do all these things.  This is not 17th Century England, where we would be arrested and tortured for assisting at Mass, or for refusing heretical worship.  This may be the case in the future-- maybe the very, very near future-- but not now.  Do we understand how good we have it?  All the weak and faithless members of God's Holy Church do not prevent us from being Catholic.

People, this is Shangri-La.  

Yes, we will likely look back on this time, with the clouds gathering, as a period of glory.  We have the total freedom to practice our faith and to fortify us for hard times.  Let's do just that. Man up.  Stay close to the Sacraments.  Stay close to Mary and the saints. Stay confessed. And let us be grateful.

Heads up-- we are made for Christ, and He will sustain us. 

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall put you to death: and you shall be hated by all nations for my name's sake. And then shall many be scandalized: and shall betray one another: and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall seduce many. And because iniquity hath abounded, the charity of many shall grow cold. But he that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved. – Matthew 24: 9-13


laurel said...


A very interesting take on the current situation. You're right, these are good times for us however, in our parish you can see the erosion occuring. We used to have daily Mass and daily confession. Now we have no priest in the rectory and 'daily' Mass only three days a week. Confession is at the primary Church and is only on Saturday afternoon for one-half hour. We have mainly substitute priests on Sunday who do not know the parishioners or their needs. I know that I'm looking at the half empty glass and you are looking at the half full glass. Thanks for reminding me.

Please give us the names of the two apps you discussed in the article. Thank you.

ATW said...


Deo gratias.

Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

More proof of your thesis?



thetimman said...

BD, dang straight. You beat me to it. I'm posting soon.

The two apps are:

Brevarium meum

Peggy said...

Poor Mark Shea is so confused. He despises the GOPe for its fake conservative views. So, now a regular guy rises up on behalf of the people, to great dismay of the GOPe. Doesn't he know he's on the same side as GOPe at this point? Shea despises the regular guy and the GOPe, and seems to prefer the bigots and baby killers on the Left. But, then again, this regular guy just gave a barnburner of a speech today decrying globalism and govt for the 1%. Isn't Trump singing Shea's song? I am confused. Shea must be too. Actually, he often exhibits his own political and economic ignorance. Perhaps that lack of understanding is at work as well.