25 January 2017

Remarks at a Maltese Funeral

Friends, Maltese, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Fra Matthew Festing, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Fra Matthew. The noble Francis
Hath told you Fra Matthew was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Fra Matthew answer’d it.
Here, under leave of Francis and the rest–
For Francis is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men–
Come I to speak in Fra Matthew's funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Francis says he was ambitious;
And Francis is an honourable man.
He hath upheld the doctrines of Rome
Whose tenets were laid down by Christ:
Did this in Fra Matthew seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Fra Matthew hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Francis says he was ambitious;
And Francis is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the internet
A subordinate distributing condoms to poor souls,
Which Fra Matthew made him rue: was this ambition?
Yet Francis says he was ambitious-- and did not accompany;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Francis spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love Christ once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for His servant?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Fra Matthew--and the Sovereign Order of Knights---

And I must pause till it come back to me.

7 comments:

brian springer said...

I love this post. Man, I got to read Julius Caesar again. It's easily one of my favorite plays.

God bless.

Jane Chantal said...

Where is our Church, and what have they done with Her? The Church has been taken over by the Pod People. The good people are disappearing one by one. "Relax. Don't fight it. It will be over soon, and you'll be so much happier."

Daddy Rangel said...

Amen. Well said. My heart is in the coffin and I am with you in the trenches. Long Live Christ the King!

JBQ said...

Amen II

Kneeling Catholic said...

on another note, did you see President Trump put in a plug for this Weekend's March for Life?

http://kneelingcatholic.blogspot.com/2017/01/trump-promotes-2017-march-for-life-in.html

kneeling

Viva Cristo Rey said...

Very well done........

c matt said...

Unfortunate turn of events for the SOKM. By the way, how does one create a sovereign order of knights? What's to stop a group from forming their own thing with no official RCC ties, therefore no official RCC jurisdiction? Sovereign Knights of the Order of the Water Buffaloes